cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ayocam
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

c8180 all-in-one with duplexer

Hello, I just purchased the Q5822a duplexer for my all-in-one printer and when I go into the software to tell it the duplexer is installed the options are all greyed out.  HP told me that it is not supported and won't work but I've seen other people discussing using the duplexer with this printer.  Can someone please help me?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
barquentine25
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased my C8180 yesterday (30.1.2010), together with the Q5582A duplex unit.

All the reviews I read before hand noted the duplexer as an optional extra & given that it's possible to duplex print under the Mac OS I was annoyed to see an error message advising me that under Vista it isn't possible. This was doubly annoying as the C8180 uses the same installation CD as my previous printer (a C7280) & that one would auto two-sided print without problem.

So; why doesn't the C8180 auto Duplex print?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
turleym
Level 2
30 30 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the duplexer greyed out in printing preferences, or printer properties?  If it is going to work, you will have to turn it on in printer properties.  This will be different between XP/VIsta/7, but the general routine is Control Panel - Printers - Right click on your printer - Select Properties or Printer Properties - Select Device Settings tab - Change duplexer setting to installed.  If it is greyed out here, then you may be out of luck until HP fixes the driver.

0 Kudos
barquentine25
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the correct settings have been set & nothing is greyed out. I select two-sided printing & it 'throws up' the message regarding the missing module. I did have a dig around the HP site & found a patch that supposedly 'cured' the duplexing problem, but all it does is set the two-sided printing routine to manual by default (so I guess technically HP can say they solved the problem!)

Having now read various forums etc. I assume auto two-sided printing is not supported & probably never will be.

0 Kudos
ayocam
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, for me it is greyed out and it looks like HP has no intention on fixing this.  I have noticed the same as the other poster.  They have one document for Vista documenting what to do if you run into the same issue as the other poster and the document tells you hot to set it to manually duplex and instructs you how to flip the paper!!!!  This is not a fix!  If we wanted to duplex manually we would not have bought the duplexer!!!  And I had not even thought about trying my Mac until reading the reply to my original post and it was a breeze to set up in Mac OS X and it works like a charm so the issue clearly seems to be HP not supplying the drivers... 

0 Kudos
ayocam
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Funniest thing, I have not touched a setting or messed with the duplexer at all since I posted this except for when I tested once with my Mac.  Today I had to go into my printer settings and noticed where it was greyed out and saying not installed now it is saying installed and isn't greyed out anymore.  Then I checked into print settings and all of the automatic duplex choices are available now and it works!  So there is some hope out there for those of you using Win 7.  I wish I could give instruction on how to fix this but alas, this one escapes me.

0 Kudos
Rhaco33
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi There

I have just put the Q5582a duplexer on the back of my c8180. it didnt work using the Two-sided (duplex) instruction installed in printer properties by Hewlett packard.

The thing that worked for me was

- open a document you want to print

- click File in top right hand corner, on the drop down list click Print

- on the print menu click on properties

- click on the two sided (duplex) printing. (This doesnt work by the way)

- On the right hand side you have the option to set the duplex printing to manual or automatically.

- set to aurtomatically ( click on it0

- You will then see that the "Save as" button has become active below the "Printing shortcuts" menu on the left hand side of the window.

Save this as a printing shortcut and it will work for your duplex printing,. the original duplex printing shortcut only redirects you to a manual opreration.

I hope this works for everyone as  easily as it did for me.

Bye

sqnldrbartlett
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good Day,

Where can I buy a DUPLEX Module unit for the HP Photosmart all- in- one C8180 Printer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bigmutt
Level 2
40 31 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the key is:

Control Panel - Printers - Right click on your printer - Select  Printer Properties (NOT Properties)  - Select Change Properties on bottom left, then select Device Settings tab - You'll see "Installable Options",  select Duplex Unit, highlight that line, and choose "Installed";  then  Apply,  Okay,  and Bob's Your Uncle.

I think people are forgetting to select "change properties" instead of just "Properties", as one person here said;   also important is to choose "Installable options" in that first window instead of going directly to Device Settings tab,  as the same person instructed here.

I had my duplex add-on unit for over two years before I figured this out and now am able to print Duplex any time I choose.

Made me fall in love with this printer all over again.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation