cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
blakjack Tutor
Tutor
6 3 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check print cartridge error

Hello, I am getting intermittant check print cartridge errors for the color cartridge. After cleaning contacts inside and on the cartridge then reinstalling the cartridge, printer will successfully print a test page (will print black and yellow) but will fail when I try to print out a document. Sometimes (usually) the error will appear just after reinstalling the cartridge and the printer will not work. How can I tell whether the problem is with the cartridge or is an error within the printer? Is there a test code? The printer will print black fine with the color cartridge removed. Ink seems to be free to flow when dousing color cartridge with warm water, so I think there's enough ink in it. Once I had limited success after cleaning the contacts inside and out but no success currently.

The unit is HP 1210 PSC all-in-one. Within the last several weeks it has printed color ok but not within the last week or so.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
4,037 3,687 232 476
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello blakjack,

I see that you're having a hard time printing with the PSC 1210. I will try to assist you with this.

If I'm reading that correctly, you can print black ink? But it's the color that's causing you an issue?
Form the sound of it, you've also covered all the standard troubleshooting for the issue at hand. If you haven't you may want to try another cartridge. This would tell you if the issue is printer or cartridge, if it resolves it was cartridge. If it doesn't the issue is the printer.

I hope that helps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
blakjack Tutor
Tutor
6 3 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not unusual what happened. After I submitted the request for help I got the thing to work. The cartridge was purchased recently from K-mart (it was a generic), but who knows how long it had been on the shelf. I printed a few small documents ok. Then just a few days ago, failure again. The q-tip with water was the most obviously helpful procedure, to scrub the contacts both on the cartridge and on the printer. Ink of all three colors could be seen flowing from the cartridge ink head so that's not the issue. Finally I got the printer to stop the orange light from blinking and print the document. The colors came out ok. However, after the document printed, it printed out a test page. The issue now is, how come the printer prints out so many test pages ok then fails when the document is to be printed? How come the test pages are always black and yellow, w/o red or blue anywhere?  After the document was printed, I left the computer and printer connected. Within several minutes the printer started an internal routine, although there was no further request and nothing was in the queue. I don't know what it was doing. It would be helpful to know a little more about how this thing works, because the blinking orange "check cartridge" light doesn't tell very much.  Is there a how-stuff-works somewhere that explains what might be going on? I'm sure this isn't the end of this. I will have to go through it again and again.

By the way, I'm pleased that entering my forum-username alias actually was able to pull up the post that I entered back in February.  The code writers for this forum should be complimented. Thanks for your help.

Retired
Retired
4,037 3,687 232 476
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The random task the printer is doing, sounds like a self maintenance cycle. These tend to increase in how often they are done as the printer ages or as the printhead health deteriorates. The printed test pages could be a result of this, though usually the printer won't just do a test page after printing.

As for something on "how this thing works", here's a link to the User's Guide.
This has anything there is on how to use the printer, and what means what. It's the best source for what your looking for.

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation