Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
CM1415fnw
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

I have owned this printer for a little over a year and it has worked fine until about three weeks ago.

It suddenly started to reboot every 20-25 seconds.  I can't even get one page printed before it keeps rebooting.

I saw a fix posted that suggest that I go to the web interface page and uncheck WS-Discovery box in the networking-advanced page.  I have done that but it does not fix the problem.

Nothing has changed in regard to our wireless connection, programs on the computer or software.

Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Gemini02, Thank you for your response.  Your suggestion to reset the printer by pressing the back and home portion of the screen.  It worked immediately and the printer has not continued it's bad behavior since!

Thank you so much.  Peggy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @PeggyVallejo ,

I see that you are experiencing issues with the printer rebooting every 20 seconds. I would be happy to help you.

Want application and file format are you trying to print?

I have seen the printer react this way previously, when printing a PDF document that the printer doesn't understand.

Is this happening with all applications?

Try a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

I would suggest to try the following steps if you are still having issues.

Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac:

Close all applications.

On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.

Double-click Disk Utility.

Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.

Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Restart the computer..

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, highlight the printer. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name) Then click on the Add button.

If the issue persists, update the printer's firmware. HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility.

I will send you another step to try in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Is there possibly anything that has been added in the room where the printer is?

(phone)

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Gemini02, Thank you for your response.  Your suggestion to reset the printer by pressing the back and home portion of the screen.  It worked immediately and the printer has not continued it's bad behavior since!

Thank you so much.  Peggy

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know that everything is working properly again PeggyVallejo.

{Happy Dance :smileyvery-happy:}

Please consider marking the post Message that resolved the issue as "Accept as Solution" so that anybody else in the HP community who may experience the same or similar issue will know what to do.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am having the very same issue with my cm1415fnw.  I just upgraded the firmware - no change.  I did a hard reset as you recommended - no change.  I reset to factory default - no change.  I cannot figure out how to hit the "home and back area" - the printer simply beeps continuously when I do that with two fingers (one on the home and one on the back area), or one finger in the general area.  I've done that for up to 30 seconds with nothing else but beeping happening.  The same behavior occurs on either of two routers on my home network.  It seems to not occur if I connect the printer to my iPhone 6 Personal Hotspot wirelessly. 

Everything was working fine until 5 days ago, and has since we bought the printer in 2013.  We made no changes to our home network and no new devices were added.  This makes the printer unusable, and it is a noise problem with the constant resets.  I can only imagine this adds wear to the printer as well.

What else can I try??

HP Recommended

Hi @tfox2069,

I understand that you are having issues with the printer rebooting. I would like to help you.

I can send you the reset for the printer in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Problem solved.

After reading another post on another thread I checked the print queue on my wife's laptop.  Sure enough there were 3 documents in there, dating back roughly to the day all the problems with reinitializing started.  I cleared the cache, restarted the printer, and it has stopped reinitializing.  I believe it was a coupon from some site that was constantly trying to print, was unsuccessful and caused the printer to reinitialize endlessly. 

HP Recommended

Try my post below regarding clearing the print cache on any/all computers connected to the network where your printer is connected.  It resolved it for me immediately.

HP Recommended

I am trying to install the printer on a new computer and when i plug it into the wall oultet it just continuously tries to reboot.  It won't connect long enough for me to even get it installed.  Any solutions?

HP Recommended

Having the same issues with printer continually rebooting.  Can you provide the reset for the printer?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.