cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sam4607 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

damaged printer cartridge error message for HP officejet pro 8610

officejet pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I replaced all my cartridges about 3 months ago with HP compatible cartridges purchased from Amazon. Everything worked perfectly. Ink levels showed up, print quality was perfect alignment as well. Today, I got an error message saying that one or more ink cartridges were damaged. I proceeded to remove and reinstall the cartridges. result, same message. I the searched for solutions and found procedures to remove and reinstall printhead. Everything was clean and looked normal. Result, same message. One last detail. after each proceedure I tried to print.  The same error messages poped up but always indicated a different color on the display 

any suggestions? my warranty expierd in june.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Retired
Retired
18,047 14,989 855 2,154
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there! Welcome to the HP Community @sam4607,

I read about the cartridge error messages you're noticing on your Officejet 8610 and wanted to pop in to share some troubleshooting ideas with you. Check out the link below and try those steps. If the error continues, the guide will say to replace the printer. If that happens, you can call phone support to discuss your trade in options. I will leave the contact details below.

A 'Cartridge Missing' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!

Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

Contact HP:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Franck_M Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the exact same printer, and I was also using 3rd party cartridges. everything worked just fine until few days ago.

I have reinstalled windows on my PC as I was changing hard drive, I have reinstalled the printer and since then the printer has stopped working and complains about "One or more ink cartridges appear to be missing or damaged".

I have tried brand new 3rd party cartridges and the issue remains.

Funnily enough, the shop on amazon where I bought the cartridges has contacted me, they say that they have received many customer complaints about users of cartridge 950 and 951 that can't print anymore as they printer shows the error message above.

Did HP do some update that somehow messed up the printers?

Cheers,

Franck.

0 Kudos
sam4607 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Rainbow7000

I went through the document and tried every step as described. I managed to print Printer Status report. All the colors came out as they should. I was happy!  Then I tried to print a one page document with color images and the same error message poped up "One or more cartriges appear to be damaged" with the magenta icon appearing on top of the message.

I will go out and purchase an hp magenta cartrige soon and retry to print. I'll let you know the results through this forum.

Just a side note....on the Printer Status Report it says I printed 724 pages and 550 color pages. Just to give you an idea of my print volume over a period of a  year or so. 

0 Kudos
sam4607 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there Frank

Interesting!

Looking forward to some replies on your post!

It was a few days ago for me as well. Before that everything was fine.

Sam4607

0 Kudos
jwbyrd Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's pretty clear that HP pushed out some update to its firmware in the past few days to try to detect and disable third-party manufactured cartridges.  

It's one thing to build a product that tries to only run HP cartridges.  It's another to break your existing products in the field that were running fine on remanufactured cartridges, to try to enforce your business model.

Sony just paid $55 to each owner of the PS3 for breaking existing functionality in previously shipped firmware:  http://arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Sonylinuxsettlement.pdf

HP, you're playing with fire here. 

0 Kudos
sam4607 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow7000

I ordered a print cartrige from HP. When I get it I will install and let you know the results.

BTW, do you know when was the last time firmware was updated?

I have a wireless installation so I think firmware and software updates are done automatically.

How can I findout last automatic updates on my printer?

Thanks again for your advice

Best

0 Kudos
jwbyrd Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

---

0 Kudos
mowgli666 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am also struggling with this issue. I use 3 party inks and have not had a problem until now. Does anyone know if I buy (overpriced) HP inks and replace, will it correct the problem?

0 Kudos
sam4607 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To continue on my last post.....

The error message said that the magenta cartridge was damaged. I ordered a magenta cartridge from HP. I paid 30$ for that one cartridge compared to 18$ for M,C,Y,B, The whole set purchased on Amazon as HP compatible.

I installed the cartridge and the display showed all ink levels full. I had the option of launching a print report and as soon as I pressed the button the printer then immediatly laid out another message. Now my Black cartrige is apparently damaged and the printer is asking for replacement.

Logicaly If I follow the messages I'm assuming that I will have to replace all of them because they are apparently damaged. That will run the price of the ink to about 130$. I paid 200 for this printer. And by the way the HPcartriges are made in china.

Can anybody confirm if there was a new firmware issued around the 13th of September?

Its very unlikely that the cartridges all got damaged at the same time.....

sam4607

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation