Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (258 Views)

deskjet 6840 series

I have been using HP Deskjet 6840 thru USB connection. Last year I bought iMac and Time Capsule and installed the printer again thru USB connection. Now I would like to use it wirelessly; I tried installing it thru the CD installer (bought in 2004) but there is always an error. What must I do to install it correctly? I am now using OS X Mountain Lion.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 3 (232 Views)

Re: deskjet 6840 series

[ Edited ]

Hey dannyflores,

There is a document, provided by HP, with the steps for connecting the Deskjet 6840 series printer to a Mac OS X Mountain Lion PC.  The document can be found by clicking here, however I will also provide the install steps below from the document.

**Make sure the printer is connected to the Time Capsule via a USB cable prior to following steps below.

Step one: Update your Mac software with Apple Software Update

Important : Before you install your printer, run Software Update to make sure that the database your Mac uses to find available printer software is current.
  1. Click the Apple menu ( ), and then click Software Update . Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your Mac uses to determine available printer software.
  2. Click Install . Apple Software Update installs updates on your computer.
Step two: Install the printer

1. Turn on the printer, and then make sure that it has paper in the tray and that it is in a ready state.
  2. Make sure that the printer is connected to the wired or wireless network, or is connected to the USB port of a Time Capsule or AirPort Base Station.
  3. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
  4. Click Print & Scan , and then click the plus sign ( ) in the lower left corner of the window.
  5. Under Nearby Printers , click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:If your printer is not listed, click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.
  6. Under Name , click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction .
  7. Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.
  8. Click Add to add the printer to the queue.
  9. If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (221 Views)

Re: deskjet 6840 series

Thank you for the support, I followed step by step your instructions. it is now connected through USB; however, I still could'nt  connect wirelessly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation