cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ArthurDent23
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

deskjet printer malfunction

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet D2660
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer makes  loud ratcheting noise at iitialisation and before each page. The noise appears to come from the catridge-cleaning mechanism at the right-had side.

Nevertheless, print quality is as good as before. It's just that it sounds as if it is going to destroy itself each time.

It has not been dropped, or anthing like that -- before this occurrence it had hardly even been moved since acquisition.

There is no jammed paper or residue, I have vacuumed out any dust, cleaned the encoder strip and done most of the other obvious things short of actual disassembly.

Any ideas, anyone?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,499
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ArthurDent23,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding issues with a loud noise from the printer during printing. It will be a pleasure to assist you here.

Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• .Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Have you hard reset the printer?

First  please perform a hard reset.

• Turn on the printer.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
  • Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • NOTE:
  • HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  • The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  • Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
  • If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
  • If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.
  • Try to print.

• Please try all the steps from both these documents.
  • Link 1: HP Deskjet Printers - The Printer Makes a Grinding Noise When It is Turned On or Printing: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00255558
  • Although they are for a different model of printers, the steps are relevant for you printer too.
  • Link 2: is for carriage jams: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-d2600-printer-series/3742933/model/3742935/document/... please check if there are any carriage stalls and perform all the required steps.
  • Link 3: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-d2600-printer-series/3742933/model/3742935/document/... is for paper jams. It is always best to check again and perform the required steps to resolve the issue.

If the issue persists then the printer might have a hardware issue and needs to be replaced by contracting HP phone support.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation