Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have windows 8 installed and just connected and installed the HP ENVY 7640.  The printer is not recognizing the photo paper.  I did change the paper information to 4 x 6 photo, but the printer still said there was no paper in it, and yes, there was 4x6 photo paper in the photo tray.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi @sick 

Does the printer recognise photo paper when you try to copy a photo directly from the printer, excluding the computer?

Trying a copy will tell us if the issue is the printer hardware, or something to do with the computer/ settings/ software.

What program are you printing from? Are you able to print from the photo tray using a different program?

You are loading your paper vertically, print side down too right?

Image:  Photo paper orientation to the printer

Make sure that the stack of photo paper is not higher than the top edges of the paper width guides. Please take a look at the document I found that blurb above from, Loading Paper, Envelopes, Cards, and Photo Paper

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers.

mostache.JPG  - In support of Movember

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am having this problem. The Printer will not recognise any paper from the photo tray, even though there is paper in it. I have tried printing from Picasa 3 as well as directly from a memory card.

The paper is being loaded as shown in the picture.

I have tried both 4x6 (non HP paper) and 5x7 (HP Paper). In both cases the printer seems to attempt to start to print, but then fails and says there is no paper ....even though there is paper.

I have windows 8.1

HP Recommended

Hi @woolaco 

Although you are able to print from the main tray and the issue is limited to only the photo tray, I suspect the following document will help; An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays on the Control Panel and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper.

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks. I did follow the instructions, and it did appear to solve the problem, as we were able to print several photos on 6x4 paper. Having said that, I was somewhat disappointed that I had to do all this for a NEW expensive printer!

However, today we have tried to print photos again, and we are getting the same message. I am not prepared to take the printer apart and clean all the rollers every time I want to print photographs, so I think I will have to contact HP to get them to come and sort it out!

HP Recommended

I had the same issue with Windows 7.

It's basically poor software design. I have to dig deep to get to the option specifying which paper tray to use.

If Windows 8 is the same as 7: select print from the photo viewer print menu, then select options, then select printer properties, then select the paper/quality tab, then in the Tray Selection: media area select HP Photo Papers.

If the software were decent the selection for which paper tray option would be on the first layer, not the fifth. What a pain!

To figure this out it took two web queries, a lot of reading, the print and scan doctor, manual deletion of my old HP 5100 printer drivers, one reboot, half a cartridge of color ink, and an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. If my daughter didn't need the photo print tomorrow for school we would have taken the printer back to Best Buy and gotten a different brand.

HP can do better.

HP Recommended

My brand new envy 7645 is doing the same thing with Windows 7, and the previous posters solution doesn't work.  It stiil insists on pulling regular paper from the main tray. 

HP Recommended

I havn't got a problem printing from HP Envy machine. I have a problem printing from my computer. Message says my computer cant find printer and I am out of paper...........

HP Recommended

I am using A4 paper. The printer can copy from printer but says computer cannot access printer and printer is out of paper

HP Recommended

Hi @KSK3

I understand you are unable to print on A4 paper. Do non-A4 print requests produce an out of paper error too? I understand you are able to copy, but the issue arises when you try to print. What program are you printing from and does this occur when you print from multiple programs or just from one? The answers to the questions will help me to assist you more efficiently.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.