cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
shris09
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

failure to scan, copy, and fax for HP Officejet 4500

I am trying to scan with my HP Officejet 4500 and it is not allowing me to do so. When I turn on the printer it says "Scanner Failure. Cannot scan, copy, or fax". When I try to scan, I have the wireless option to send it to my computer and when I select my computer, nothing happens and it takes me back to scan, copy, fax menu. 

I have tried installing and reinstalling and unistalling too many times. I have also unplugged all wires. Nothing is working. I have had mutiple problems with this printer and it is not even a month old. How do I fix this issue. 

6 REPLIES 6
shris09
2 1 0 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks in advance for whoever can help me! This printer has given me too many headaches!

0 Kudos
Level 11
7,948 7,850 685 1,166
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm afraid that the error you're getting means that either the firmware is glitched, or the scanner lamp is out. If the firmware is glitched, the printer might actually be fixable, but if the scanner lamp is out, there isn't a whole lot you can do. The document below will take you through a couple of steps to try. If that doesn't work, try doing a partial reset. If nothing is working, you will need to replace your printer. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh

A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax:
http://goo.gl/KULAv

To do a partial reset:
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Pull the power cord from the printer.
3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Plug the power cord inot the wall, but do not plug in the printer.
6. Hold down the 3 and # buttons.
7. While holding the buttons, plug in the printer.
8. When the lights come on, let go of the buttons.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tags (1)
Old_Joe
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you. After spending hours uninstalling and reinstalling the software, yours is the first HP advice that seems it is not coming from a bot. Unfortunately, neither #3 nor #6 fixed the problem. Since it is way out of warranty, I will have to replace it. My only question is whether I should trust an HP printer again.
Level 9
3,397 3,340 104 616
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

My best advice to give in regards to trusting HP may be a little biased (as I have always had good luck with electronics).  So with any new printer, remember that when deciding to purchase anything, I avoid the cheapest and the most expensive item, regardless of the product or the manufacturer (because they are usually the most fragile).  A good mid-priced reliable printer that I absolutely adore for its durability is the Officejet 6700 because it has all the great functionality of an expensive unit, affordable ink like for cheaper printers, and you still get the free one year warranty.  That is simply my opinion as I do not get paid to sell anything. I hope this helps you.  Best of luck with your decision.  May any printer you choose bring you many successful years of printing.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
4Pep7
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Does the same procedure/steps work for a j5780 all-in-one printer that no longer copies/scans ?

0 Kudos
roxbits
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The reset did not help me 😞  but this reply FINALLY gave me the answer and help I was looking for.  I'm unsure as to why it took me so long to find it.... grrrr.

Anyway, I'm off to get a new printer.  I hate this 'new' obsolescence!

Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation