Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm at work away from my home computer - but I believe that the only firewall is just the Windows firewall.  I also run AVG (free version), but I don't think (?) it has a firewall...

I'll look tonight after work - find the firewall and disable it, re-try the install, and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

Sounds good, I would also suggest you temporally disable or uninstall the AVG software. I have seen in the past it can cause problems with getting programs installed. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

Turned off the firewall and uninstalled AVG, then rebooted.  Then used your link again to the driver - same result - error 1726.

What's next?

--Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

1726 Error Code are usually caused in one way or another by misconfigured system files in your windows operating system. Below is a link wrhich provides more detail on Error 1726. As this is not a HP tool I can't recommend you running the tool, but you may find that this can help you resolve the issues on your computer.

http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=1726

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks - I'll give that a try tonight.

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the update. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Ugh.  Looked promising - routine found 1100 or so errors that needed fixing.  Forked out $40 for the fix, rebooted, but no-go - still got the same error.

Any other ideas?

--Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you have some issue with the operating system on your computer. Have you considered backing up your data, and then run a full system recovery on this computer?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

I have considered it - and had a friend or two recommend it.  I've never done one before.  I have a large detached back-up drive that I might be able to use.  Where should I look for reliable advice/instructions for doing a system recovery?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff,

The manufacture of the computer should have created a partition on the drive or provided you CD's to restore the computer to the way it was when you purchased it. If you have a clone PC then you most likely need to reformat your drive and reinstall the operating system. If you have a OEM computer (Example: HP, Dell, ECT) there is most likely instructions when you are powering on the computer to hit F11 or F12 to recover the computer.

Note: Do not do anything until you have all your data backed up.

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.