Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Office jet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This has probably happened to others here so throwing it out. I have the printer for home business use and I need to print up all the digital files I make to make sure they print up right. I can be a bit of an ink hog with printing with color etc.  I typically pick  up my cartridges from local Walmart and always get the XL size colored and black ink cartridges.

The local Walmart stopped carrying the XL cartridges the last time I checked.  I usually get the 951. I hadn't planned on picking up the ink one of the last times I went shopping there but thought I should get a back up and I picked the wrong cartridge number 952 and it was not XL.

It sat in the drawer a couple of months until I needed it. I just opened it and realize it is not fitting properly and I got the wrong cartridges.

I try to take it back to Walmart but they have a policy where they won't accept things that have been opened. I can see why they wouldn't take it since there is no way they can tell I am scammng them and have used the ink. I know HP has the ability to know the ink levels and call them.

I call HP and talk to two different support people. I am not asking for cash, I just want the right cartridges. An exchange. I am also open to finding a better supplier of the XL sized cartridges. Mind you these 952 cartridges cost 59.99 so not a small loss. They talk to a supervisor and they say that if I had bought the HP ink from them directly they could do an exchange if I got the wrong cartridges but since I bought their product from another retailer I am just out of luck. 

So am I about to even consider buying cartridges directly from HP right now? Hardly. They also didn't even try and there was a huge missed opportunity with all this. My computer would constantly as me about buying HP ink and I would decline and now they finally have me on the phone and well they blow it.

I am sure many folks have grabbed the wrong cartridge since there are so many of them with different numbers. In the past there was no info on the boxes to help you figure out which printers the cartridge work on. I have never grabbed the wrong cartridge before but there is always a first time. After looking closer I see there are numbers on the side of the box that list printer numbers but it is small and I think the better place would be on the front or the back. But that would take up cross selling space they are filling the space with.

So does any one want to buy a 952 that  has three colors in it from me? It has three brand new never been used color cartridges regular size Cyan, Magena and Yellow? Also I would like to ask where folks are buying their HP cartridges XL size and who has the best prices on them? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for sending this to customer support. They have resolved the issue for me and once I got to the right person it was fixed much quicker than I ever expected! Thank you for listening. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works this post has instructions.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for sending this to customer support. They have resolved the issue for me and once I got to the right person it was fixed much quicker than I ever expected! Thank you for listening. 

HP Recommended
I also have this issue. However, I have a HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one. It was a hand-me-down printer and no instructions or manuals came with it. When I went to purchase the ink cartridges at my local Walmart, I grabbed the wrong package, 74+75, thinking it was the one that was compatible with my printer. It also cost me and I wanted to know so If it was possible to do an exchange. The cartridges have never been used and I don't know anybody who uses them.
HP Recommended

Hi @hernandezc,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your inquiry.

I understand that you were given an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer and you purchased the wrong ink cartridges at Walmart so you are curious if an exchange would be able to be done. I would like to help.

Have you tried returning the cartridges back to Walmart for the exchange. That would be the easiest, and fastest way, to get the cartridges exchanged.

There is another possibility for exchange if the cartridges are still in the protective wrapping and have not been used. It is a little longer of a process.

I will need to send you information on how to do this in a Private Message. If you are unsure how to check your PMs, this post by @SiobhanF can help - How to check your messages.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

So I purchased 920 XL color and Black ink catridges. I open them install them and my printer states they are not installed correctly. As I am struggling with understanding why I realize my printer takes 902 and not 920. I have on unopened black but it was in a 2-pack so the package is open and cannot be returned. Plus I have color and black that cannot be used. What steps can I follow for this error. 

HP Recommended

Sorry.  But you must always buy the correct cartridges for your printer by checking the number on them or the User Guide.

HP Recommended
Well thanks for the most obvious answer. Clearly I didn't intentionally purchase 920 instead of 902. Money wasted thanks !
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.