cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP2SAC
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

Solved!

how do I set up scan to network folder on mac Yosemite with M476dw

HP Recommended
HP Pro MFP M476dw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I am running a Mac with Yosemite and am having a hell of a time tyring to scan; they keep saying I need to setup a network folder.  I've tried with no success.  I even tried setting up scanning to email, with no luck.  PLEASE HELP ME!

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,314 31,028 5,348 12,450
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Apple have implemented the new SMBX 3 protocol for sharing a folder from Yosemite.

Follow Method One below to update the latest firmware, it is required for the printer to connect to a shared folder from Yosemite:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03754273&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&jumpid=...

Next create a folder and right click it (CTRL+ Left click) and select Get Info, check the box next to Share folder.

Under the permissions section ensure your user account have read and write permissions.

From System Preferences select Sharing, ensure that File sharing is enabled and click the Edit / Options button.

Ensure the SMB option is checked and the user is listed and selected, add the user if required.

Now try adding the printer into the EWS page of the printer (The printer homepage, can be accessed by typping the printer UTL into Safari) and under Scan select Network folder nd setup the folder using the user and password account.

Set the path as the computer IP and then the shared folder name (e.g. \\10.0.0.0\scan).

Please let me know of any problem.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Ronindoc
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Create the Shared folder using the smb setup as described previously. I called mine "Scanned" without spaces or special characters, just to simply things.

For display name, use whatever nameyou want - "Scanned Docs" or whatever.

Network Path:

\\192.168.xx.xx\Scanned

this is the "\\" followed by the smb network path of your computer, followed by "\" and then the name of the shared folder.

Username:

Ronindoc

This is the simplifed basic name (not the display name) of your user account. Found here: Macintosh HD --> Users --> Ronindoc

(for instance - the display or loging name may be "ronindoc's Mac" but in the Users folder, it's just listed as "Ronindoc", so use that name.

Password - the password for the account to log you into your Mac - what you enter when you crank up the machine.

This worked for me, it just took many, many tries to get this correct.

Summary:

Display Name:

Scanned Docs

Network Path:

\\xxx.xxx.xx.xx\Scanned

User Name:

<your user name here>

Password:

<your password here>

0 Kudos
magickbox
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm still struggling with getting my HP M476dw connected to my imac via IP network folder (Scan to a Network Folder). I'm on Sierra and have created shared folder called HPScans in my Dcouments folder that shows up on the root as a shared folder. 

I identified my computer IP address in System Prefs > Sharing and have tried to input it several different ways with back and forward slashes to see if that would fix the problem. Per the direction, i have tried:

\\XX.X.X.XXX\HPScans

...but still won't connect.

I put in my user ID (matches my root home folder name) and pw i use at startup. I also added a PIN in the settings. 

Anyone have any other thoughts? Thank you.

juap
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem!, i did everything mention here with no results, please, any help?. I cant understand why HP makes so difficult to do something so simple.

0 Kudos
Ronindoc
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Have you duplicated what I posted above?
For simplicity, use a simple name for the folder, and a simple user name and password. Then once connected you can change the names if needed.
0 Kudos
magickbox
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes. I named the folder in Documents -- HPScans.  Just errors out after awhile saying "Connecting to HPScans" and then "Cannot connect to [IP Address]\[Home folder]\HPScans. Ensure the shared folder name is correct." Can't seem to figure out what it is because that is the name of the shared folder. 

Should I move it out of the Documents folder perhaps and to the root home folder? 

0 Kudos
Ronindoc
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Take out the "home folder" :
[IP Address]\HPScans.
In sharing setup in the Mac system prefs, delete any folder share you tried. Try then to share the folder again.
You have to go thru sharing setup to ensure the folder is shared correctly internet the Mac sharing setup, then use the HP tools to match it up. Remove the PIN you created at first until you can get it to work.

This was very frustrating, took many trials and errors, then finally like a piece of the puzzle that just takes a tiny bit more pressure to fit, it clicked and has been solidly working. I'll try screen shots if you can't get it, but may take a few days...
0 Kudos
Ronindoc
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I went a step further. I use Google Drive. I put the shared folder in the Google Drive folder. Now when I scan, it goes to the cloud and I alter the docs from my laptop, not sequestered to the iMac the printer is connected with full time. 😉
0 Kudos
Ronindoc
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Also- ensure your IP is fixed in your router. I did have to assign an IP in my router for my iMac, so it didn't change.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation