Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
colour laserjet pro m252dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My colour laserjet printer (colour laserjet pro m252dw) is no longer functioning due to not recognising a third-party black cartridge due to a recent firmware update. Error given is 'Supply memory error'.

I've already looked up the Software Support page for this printer, but new/recent firmware update is not released/listed, only the March firmware update is given.

I'd appreciate advice and instructions on how to revert/fix my no longer printing printer.

Can you please advise on which firmware update to install instead to get my printer back in functioning order?

Many thanks

Geertje 

PS HP: how VERY annoying; next time I am in the market for a printer I will reconsider my options

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to the other thread I commented on the user was successful at fixing the problem by rolling back from firmware version 20160331  to 20150716 .  Unfortunetly the user did not comment where the older firmware version was obtained from so that we can share a simlilar solution.  It may be that that individual had a copy archived offline or found another source outside of HP's support website.

Unless you can obtain an older firmware version any steps we share to downgrade teh firmware will do you no good.  I would be cautious poking around a German website for firmware updates.  HP has regional locks in place according to international deals they make to market thier products in a certain area.  Using a German firmware on a US manufactured printer may have strange side effects on what kinds of cartridges are allowed.

What may be a better use of your time would be to contact your 3rd party cartridge company and see if they can send you a cartridge that is compatible with the new firmware.  Chances are they have observed the same problem with other users and already have a chipset to work around the problem.  That way you can stay on the newer firmware and continue to use your prefered cartridges too.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

> is no longer functioning due to not recognising a third-party black cartridge 

Is there any documentation proving that HP has extended its policy on third party inkjet products to its laserjet market?  I havent found anything yet.  Let me know if you can find something so I can share with others.

> Error given is 'Supply memory error'.

That suggests a problem reading the chip installed on your laser cartridge.  I would contact your 3rd party cartridge provider for more details and a possible refund on thier product.

> but new/recent firmware update is not released/listed, only the March firmware update is given.

That was the case for a M277 i recently commented on too.  Not like HP to stealth release a firmware update like this. 

> I'd appreciate advice and instructions on how to revert/fix my no longer printing printer.

Firmware on newer printers is sometimes loaded onto the HD instead of onto the formatter board. This is great if you happen to want to reload the firmware where you used to have to purchase a new formatter board in teh past.  However, you will still have to have a copy of the previous firmware to flash to the HD.  If HP has the March FW posted still then it would be a good idea to grab a copy before they update it.

As for reformatting your printer back to a previous firmware version, that isnt so easily done.  You need to access a special service menu from teh control panel and load the firmware onto a USB drive.  By booting into the USB drive your firmware would then install to whatever version was provided. The complete steps for this process would be located in teh Service Manual which isnt something we can openly share on teh HP forums.  A local tech shop could do it for you though if you wanted to ask them for a quote.

Lets hold off on publishing these steps until we can confirm what is actually going on here.

> Can you please advise on which firmware update to install instead to get my printer back in functioning order?

Grab the March firmware and then disable updates by either turning off the feature or disconnecting from the internets.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Did a little more digging after posting this comment and now it would appear there is a wave of bad firmware updates floating around at the moment.  I have only seem threads for the M200 series machines (your m252 and the M277) which limits the scope of the problem.

Check out the other thread I commented on with the other details I have found so far:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Firmware-Update-for-my-Laserjet-MFP-277dw/m-p/5809290...

Since this would appear to be a is a firmware related problem and HP isnt admitting its intended they are on the hook to get you a working printer.  Assuming you have support on your printer you can give them a call and get us an official answer to this problem.  If you dont have current warrenty support then we will have to rely on the community to keep you posted.  Even when you arent in current support firmware update problems tend to get attention from HP so its worth giving them a call to find out.

I'd contact HP for a statement on my M277 but I dont have 3rd party cartridges to reproduce the problem at the moment.

HP Recommended

The thirdparty cartridge has worked fine for months, no issue whatsoever with it not being recognised then. It is since this morning's update upon switching on the printer after a few weeks of nonuse, that it is no longer recognised. I believe this is due to the update, possibly the March update which probably has a fixed date for activation, similar as for the inkjet printers. But you are right in not hearing many other laserjet Mseries complaints, perhaps a diferent activation date was set?

I am not driver/FM savvy enough to revert to older versions without help, esp as have no files to flash it with, nor would I know how to. If I can deinstall or revert with a file ( I have discovered a German site with previous releases, still need to learn what firmware is in German though), how would I go about flashing or installing?

I think the printer may be out of warranty, but will check. Idem for suggestions by the thirdparty supplier. I hope my uni IT can also help otherwise. However, all suggestions still appreciated!

best wishes

Geertje

HP Recommended

According to the other thread I commented on the user was successful at fixing the problem by rolling back from firmware version 20160331  to 20150716 .  Unfortunetly the user did not comment where the older firmware version was obtained from so that we can share a simlilar solution.  It may be that that individual had a copy archived offline or found another source outside of HP's support website.

Unless you can obtain an older firmware version any steps we share to downgrade teh firmware will do you no good.  I would be cautious poking around a German website for firmware updates.  HP has regional locks in place according to international deals they make to market thier products in a certain area.  Using a German firmware on a US manufactured printer may have strange side effects on what kinds of cartridges are allowed.

What may be a better use of your time would be to contact your 3rd party cartridge company and see if they can send you a cartridge that is compatible with the new firmware.  Chances are they have observed the same problem with other users and already have a chipset to work around the problem.  That way you can stay on the newer firmware and continue to use your prefered cartridges too.

HP Recommended

Happy bunny again after uni IT support emailed me the older firmware file you mentioned (indeed 20150716) for reverting of yesterday's firmware update. Installed it and is now recognising third party cartridges again! Yay!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the confirmation.

Since you rolled back your firmware it will be important for you to block internet access to your printer until HP can produce a newer firmware number.  Blocking the internet connection to the printer will stop the printer from auto updating or accidentally updating on you.  If you applied the firmware update from a PC or soemthing else you will have to be careful not to deploy any upgrades until HP releases a new version. 

Otherwise hold onto the firmware you recieved from uni IT incase you have to roll it back again.

HP Recommended

@DrGvanK:Please help me! Having the same issue. my addr is myusername [at] yahoo

HP Recommended

@thanasism,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are getting supply memory error after updating the firmware of your HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw. I also see that this error occurs if the third party cartridges are installed.

This issue could occur if the orange clip is not removed from the cartridge.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Supply Memory Error

Also, let us know if it is a genuine HP cartridge.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello

Looking for order firmware, please email me a copy at ld@ld-designs.net

Thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.