I understand that you would like to set your HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer to 'Black Only' when printing from your Windows 8.1 computer. I would like to assist you today with configuring this print driver setting. Now, just so you are aware, even after setting you printer to use 'Black Ink Only' if you perform colour Copies, colour ink will be used. Also, a bit of colour ink will be used during printer maintenance to keep the Printhead system within your printer in good working order. Because of this you must have colour ink installed in your printer to configure and utilise the 'Black Ink Only' feature. Please follow the steps below to configure the 'Black Only' ink setting.
1. On your computer please open the Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left corner of the computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
2. Under the Start screen type Devices and Printers. Click Devices and Printers to open the window
3. Under Devices and Printers please right click on your HP Photosmart. Left click on Printing Preferences.
4. Under the Printing Preferences please click on the Advanced option on the bottom right.
5. Locate the Print in Grayscale option and click the dropdown next to it to adjust this setting to 'Black Ink Only'
6. Click OK to save the changes. Under the Printing Preferences window click Apply and OK.
Now, when you print from your computer only black ink will be utilised. If you do want to print a document in colour simply open the document. Click on File and Print. In the Print dialogue window choose Properties or Preferences (varies from Program to Program). The Printing Preferences window will now open. You can set the feature back to print in colour under Advanced by turning the Print in Grayscale feature OFF. Once this adjustment has been made print the document and it will print in colour. However, this colour adjustment will only occur for that one print job. After the colour document prints the driver will revert back to 'Black Ink Only'.
Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your issue. Best of luck! 🙂
X-23 I work on behalf of HP
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “thumbs up" button!
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.