Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Let me get this right. I purchase a printer from HP, only ever print black and white and HP take it upon themselves to restrict my use because one of the color cartridges has apparently run out of ink? What a bunch of charlatans!

No warning, need to print something out urgently this weekend but HP says 'NO!'.

This is the first and last times I buy anything from HP!

To everyone reading this deciding what to buy....please, please, please go elsewhere. You have been warned!

HP Recommended

I agree with all the foregoing posts. It is ridiculous to HAVE to replace a colored cartridge when yhou want to print in black only. It is a BS answer to say that you have to mix colors to get a true black - why do they have black only printers then? In addition to going through ink like crazy, now I am forced to buy colors I don't want. This is bad engineering and even worse marketing. I have bought my last HP printer.

HP Recommended

I agree with every one here. I am so dissapointed in HP. I have spent so much money in ink it is rediculous. It is upsetting to have black ink in your printer but can't use it- Then you' get hi-jacked to go buy a 3-pack cartridge when you only need one, yellow ink  because stores in your area only sell 3-packs only can buy black ink in individual packaging. It sucks!!!!

HP Recommended

Having the same problem with the same frustration. Way to go HP!!!   You will sell a few more cartridges and have lost a lot more in future business. I am adding my name to the list of all the people who will no longer be buying HP products in the future.

HP Recommended

My company will NEVER purchase another hp product. This borders on extortion.

HP Recommended

This is beyond frustrating, and I can't scan because my printer only says that I am out of blue ink!   Buying a new printer tomorrow hopefully without these ridiculous problems. PS I am NOT out of blue ink! 

HP Recommended

has anyone considered that when the color ink runs out it is only a matter of time before the color print head will dry up without a new cartridge? This is likely why HP insists that they be replaced before printing can be resumed, otherwise when the color ink is finally replaced the print head will not work and they would have to replace the printer. so from hp's side of things i can understand why they would want the color ink changed when it runs out. otherwise they would be replacing printers every time someone who mostly prints black decides they want to print in color with their color printer, seems to me if you want to print black only you should buy a monochrome printer that is designed to do that.   

HP Recommended

The_guy....From my personal experience the printer reports 'out of color ink' when there is still plenty of ink in the cartridges. I have never printed using color but my printer now refuses to work as it is erroneously indicating low ink levels. Let's face it, HP is screwing it's customers over by selling equipment that is designed to be dishonest cash generators.....IMHO.

HP Recommended

The same thing happened to me! It said yellow was out, and I cannot print without yellow.. . not even in black. So, I went to the store and bought yellow. I bought ONLY yellow, because it showed magenta and cyan were still good, and black was also still good... And when I say "good", I mean that magenta and cyan were AT LEAST 1/3rd full. 

I get home, install the yellow cartridge, and suddently magenta and cyan are gone!!! Now I have to go back to the store. Boy, I wish I had not chosen an HP printer. What a waste of my money, but more importantly of my TIME with several trips to the store...

HP Recommended

I agree with EVERYONE on this issue. I will NEVER support HP again. I love my laptop but after this issue with the printer and I have a full black cartridge, I'm getting rid of this crap and getting a BROTHER!!!! Poor Poor marketing on this deal. I've never had a printer that I couldn't set to black ink and now I have to get up at 5:00 to find someone to print a sales contract in the morning!!!! EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.