Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
all in one f4180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

using the HP normal driver loading method goes through early stages but fails about 1min into installing the downloaded software with a fatal error. Following the recovery proceedure from this says a fix has been done. But implies an icon should be on desk top - none is. Further it again stios and I am stuk. Any ideas? Looks as if the driver is only for windows up to 8.1??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alright, this can be done next:

1. In your search bar type in cmd and open Command Prompt.
  2. In this window type in "msiexec /unregister" (no quotes) and press Enter.
  3. Type in "msiexec /regserver" (no quotes) and press Enter.
  4. In your search bar type in msconfig and open Msconfig.
  5. Click on the Services tab.
  6. Click on Hide All By Microsoft.
  7. Click on Disable All.
  8. Click on the Start Up tab.
  9. Click on Disable All.
  10. Click on OK and restart your PC.
  11. Disable all antivirus, firewall, or security software.

Please let me know if you are able to run the installer after doing the above.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey @cragbank,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with printing from your Windows 10 PC to your Deskjet F4100 Printer. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done, download and install the latest drivers by clicking on this link.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

The fix starts to download and apparently downloads the full size of the file. It then stops with a 'download error'

Why?  the file does not run.

HP Recommended

If the download is not completing, you may need to download the file from a different web browser instead. Try downloading from Firefox or Chrome and let me know if you have the same issue.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Have now tried with Chrome. That downloads,

BUT the software behaves exactly as that I got from the HP website - starts installation   and  survives all the checks on system and also preparing system for for installation.

It then starts the actual installation and runs for around a minute (ie just same time as before) the stops with fatal error.

I accept the message by clicking OK   The programme says it is operating under windows 8 and  starts to remove HP software and after a while it reports on progress with two moving bars  

During this it collects log of failure and after a minute or two says log gathering complete and requests I click continue.

this I do 

A new window titled submit errorreport and search for possible solutions (optional)

I tick box for auto search for possible solutions. and I click continue to proceed

A ne screen gives details

HP install  - windows -8   (that looks worrying)

A solution was successfully downloaded to your computer

and a thank you for sending a report

As requested I click next

A new screen appears  which says A solution has been found and says

1.  a troble shooter has been placed on my desk top (nothing has appeared on my desk top)

2. unplug USB to printer (done)

3. click continue

4. after recovery complete, run the trouble shooter to instal

5. after finishing can remove troubleshooter

I click continue

new screen with  two progress bars gets to step 8/10 75% and 

a smaller screen appears ontop of the existing one saying HP uninstaller has stopped working. and says windows will let me know if a solution is available.

A....The first time I got to this point after ~10 minutes a message arrived giving 3 fixes one for my Kyocera printer (not plugged in at all)  followed by two for HP.  

I ask it to run these.  It fails on the kyocera which is the top one and gets no further.

B....So I repeat the process of running the downloaded software again. All the same up to A....  but nothing appeared and that is over 40 minutes ago.

Clearly I have no more boxes to click

Any more ideas?

HP Recommended

To uninstall things a different way:

1. In your search bar type in %temp% and press enter.
  2. In this folder you should see a folder that's name starts with 7Z. Open that folder.
  3. In this folder, find the util/CCC folder.
  4. Run uninstall_L3.bat.
  5. Restart your PC.
  6. Download the installer again using the link I provided. 

Please let me know if this allows you to run the installer. If not, I can provide you with more troubleshooting steps.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

There were many 7z folders from my efforts in the last few days!

I deleted s

the o;d ones and did as you suggest with the two most recent.

Again there was a hiccup in the uninstalling but it  seemed to work in that uninstall_L3 went away and did something and then stopped without any error message.

I then started again and redownloaded your installer.

Still fails to loadin exactly the same way as before.

I now have got the desktop icon for HP installation errors for windows 8 and have tried disabling the actions on startup it suggests.  I think I followed them  but again no change at any stage of the process.  Not obvious if these are relevant to windows 10 and they need a bit of interpretation on my windows 10 system.

Hence I would be glad if you could suggest more possible fixes. 

cragbank

HP Recommended

7. Click on Disable All.
  9. Click on Disable All.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

There is no longer a button here for accept as solution, and I cannot justify the other fellow not giving you a well earned thank you; however, I will. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I've been scratching my head over this problem for quite a long time and your hard work has made my job incredibly easy. My only regret is that I did not find this solution sooner.

THIS WORKS IN WINDOWS 10 x64

@DocCottlewrote:

7. Click on Disable All.
  9. Click on Disable All.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.