Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Continually unable to scan.  Get an error message: "No scan options.  Refer to documentation to troubleshoot."    There isn't even a mention of scanning in the documents that accompany the instrument!  How do I get this turkey to scan?

67 REPLIES 67
HP Recommended

This document may help:

No scan options

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Here's how I got it to work. I think this is an old printer and doesn't work well with Windows 7 - software setup doesn't recognize the computer connection in the HP Add A Device thing.

Download the full software package for the printer from HP.  Skip all the other stuff, it didn't help me including the tip from the HP employee, and I downloaded patches, fixes, blah blah.  After you have the complete packed downloaded and installed, Click on your HP Solutions Icon and set up your printer and scan options, it's pretty intuitive.  Use the HP Solutions Center to scan, then you can save to file, email, and do some other things faster.  I've had this printer for 6 months.  Lost it's Scan Options, somehow got them back for 4 months, lost them again Monday for no reason whatsoever.  First time I used the Solutions Center (I thought it was a Help Desk) and I like it. Still worth the $50 I paid at Walmart.

HP Recommended

I have just bought a hp office jet 4500 and i can not get the scan option to work

HP Recommended

Six months later, still losing its brain.  Has to be reset on a regular basis.  Everytime I determine I'm going to buy a new, NON-HP printer, it behaves for 3-4 weeks.  Guess I'm a sucker to believe in reform!

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 4500. Today I tried to use the scanning feature and I'm getting a message that says, No Scan Options. Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot."  I need help troubleshooting the scanner.   I have been scanning docutments with the scanning option for several months and am just now experiencing this problem.  Please let me know how to correct this problem.  Thanks

HP Recommended

I was having the same "No scan options" issue today on my Windows 7 laptop. I got it to work by going to my "Devices and Printers" folder, right clicking on the HP Officejet 4500, and then clicking "Start scan." Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Yep I have this same problem - but I am talking about using the buttons on the printer to scan.  If this is your problem, click  the HP solutions icon to scan on your desktop, then the scan function.  Whenever I tried to use the printer scan function, the so-called brain keeps blanking out on the scan feature and I have only successfully reset it 2 times.  Forget it, use the desktop icon.  I didn't know what it was for six months - I thought it was the HP Help Desk.  When you get lemons, make lemonade.

HP Recommended

I believe you HP folks are complete idiots...I have had the same troubles as mentioned in this thread and have been on-line with E-mail support for over a week. (CHAT IS OF NO USE! nobody home)

After doing the un-plug wait plug in thing...trying a differnt cable etc. etc. I tried to install into my laptop with the same negative results!  The below solution was the latest HP Solution.... afternoon wasted again!

As previous posters have reported in this threasd.....was working fine then not,then OK and NOT. I can copy but not scan to my computer because the OfficeJet 4500 G510A is not recognized by either my Vista Desktop nor My Pavilion Laptop running Windows 7. "NO COMPUTER CONNECTION?REFER TO TROUBLE SHOOTING"

My USB ports are working fine because any other device I plug in works....

The Software will not complete from HP downloads or My Installation CD becaus the the 4500 is NOT RECOGNIZED!  

DO YOU FOLKS UNDERSTAND!

Thefollowing will not work...do not waste your time...HP NEEDS A PATCH!

Solution 1) Steps to uninstall the printer from Device Management.
Please proceed with the below mentioned steps to uninstall:
1) Please click on Start (Windows icon, located on the bottom left of your screen) >> Search, type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.
2) Click on View >> Hidden devices.
3) Click on (+) before the following names
Other devices Printers Imaging device Dot4 IEEE
Composite devices Universal bus controllers Multifunction adapter
4) Please select the all the printer name entries, one by one, right click on it >> Uninstall.
Now restart the computer.

Solution 2: Edit Registry.
Please proceed with the below mentioned steps to backup registry and then edit it.
Step 1: Backup Registry
Please click on Start (Windows icon, located on the bottom left of your screen) >> Search, type "regedit" and hit enter.
HKEY_Local_Machine > CurrentControlset & Control set> ENUM> USB > Delete all 03foVid-03f0PID Entries.
Step 2: Go to Registry
Please click on Start (Windows icon, located on the bottom left of your screen) >> Search, type "regedit" and hit enter.
1. Now, click "+" beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM 2. Click "+" beside CurrentControlSet 3. Click "+" beside Control 4. Click "+" beside Print 5. Click "+" beside Environments 6. Click "+" beside Windows NT x86 7. Click "+" beside Drivers 8. Under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (some may be absent, which is normal) 9. Click on each Version key to find contents in the right-window pane. 10. Delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not these keys themselves.| 11. From File menu, click exit.

Solution 3) Disable power management of USB hub.
Please proceed with the below mentioned steps to disable power management of USB hub:

1.. Click Start (Windows icon, located on the bottom left of your screen), in search, type Devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. The Device Manager window opens. 2.. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. 3.. Right-click a USB Root Hub in the list, and then click Properties. The USB Root Hub Properties dialog box is displayed. 4.. Click the Power Management tab. 5.. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK. 6.. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each USB Root Hub in the list. 7.. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
Windows Vista recognizes the new device.
8.. Close the Device Manager window. Now restart the computer. And try to install the printer software.
NOTE: Do not connect the USB cable at the back of the printer unless the software prompts to connect it.
Also, please try to plug in a USB device (e.g. Pen drive, etc) in the computer USB ports to check whether the USB ports are working properly or not.
Now check the functionality. This should resolve the issue.
However if the issue still persists please feel free to reply us with the observations, so that we can go ahead and provide you an alternative steps for the same.
It has been a real pleasure assisting you. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us and we will be at your service right away.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.