cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Scott_WI
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

hp photosmart 6510 model B211a black not printing

HP Recommended

Replace the black cartridge with a HP 564 XL cartridge.  Have used XL in past and only use HP brand cartridges.  It does not print in black - have tried 2 other cartridges with no luck.  Have ran the clean and align cycle at least 4 times and still no luck.  Is there a way to reset to factory default or somehow get this to print in black.  The other cartridges print just fine.

Getting very frustrated.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,554 90,431 11,630 24,924
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/clc?tmp_showAll=false&destPage=document&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c031...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Scott_WI
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't see information on steps to follow to help with the black cartridge not printing at all.

Scott

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,966
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help.  Be sure to check the vents are properly cleared.

If the above does not resolve the issue the post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Scott_WI
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Followed those steps previously with no luck.  Decided to call HP and they no longer service the printer but willing to see me a refurbished one at a discounted price ($100).  They will send a label for me to mail them the bad printer as I am sure they will resell and this won't be happening.

I believe the print head is not functioning correctly for the black cartridge only.

RogerTwo
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This morning I printed a very black document which was quite excellent all black characters, no fading, no streaking. The very next document (moments later) no black at all - just a blank document with an extremely faded appearancee (needed to hold at an angle toward the light to see it at all.)  Changed cartriges, cleaned heads, aligned - all the stuff they telll you to do - even tried yet another cartrigewith no luck. At the time the 1st black (XL) cartrige failed, I had just put in Cyan and Yellow cartriges: they worked fine and continue to do so. So I phoned HP Support.

Here's the punch line: When I told the Support person that I have not been using "Original HP Cartriges," she cut to the party line. "We strongly enncourage our customers to use the 'Original HP Cartriges, ' or we cannot help you. " So basically I am left with the choice of buying the "Originals" or buying a new non-HP printer. I have been using HP printers for both home & office for 10 (or more?) years. Up to now I've been rather satisfies with their products. I hate to drop them, but I have to be practical. I'm past my 70th birthday, living solely on my Soc. Sec., and cannot afford to pay 5 times more for the "Originals." 

HP did not offer me a deal on a refurbished printer. And, if they did, I would have to shell out for the Original HP Cartridges.  Is there any help out there? 

I, too, believe the print head for the black cartrige (only) is not functioning correctly.

0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RogerTwo wrote:

This morning I printed a very black document which was quite excellent all black characters, no fading, no streaking. The very next document (moments later) no black at all - just a blank document with an extremely faded appearancee (needed to hold at an angle toward the light to see it at all.)  Changed cartriges, cleaned heads, aligned - all the stuff they telll you to do - even tried yet another cartrigewith no luck. At the time the 1st black (XL) cartrige failed, I had just put in Cyan and Yellow cartriges: they worked fine and continue to do so. [snip]

See my post here.  I would suspect the cartridge vents, that would be a likely thing to check if the cartridge was working fine for one print but after changing color cartridges.  As far as the "party line", HP does not have any way to control the quality of third party cartridges.  There are a lot of ways to make bad supplies (ink formulation, air, part tolerances) and fewer ways to make things properly.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

0 Kudos
RogerTwo
3 2 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Response to Bob Headrick: The vents are pretty clear. I have ink on my shirt to attest to this. And the cartridges are all original HP cartridges. l think I have tried everything - including the paper towel trick. There is nothing coming out onto the paper in both the print and the copy modes of printing. I even had some guy from overseas pretending to by an HP service rep try to sell me a $300 safety plan to clean out the viruses that were causing my problem. Nothing has helped so far. I am about ready to go out and buy a new printer - my first non-HP printer.

0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RogerTwo - sorry to hear your trouble. The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart 6510.  You may have already tried these steps.

I do not understand your comment about ink on your shirt from checking the vents.  Ink would not come out the vents unless the cartridge has been damaged.

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve black not printing I would suggest removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation