Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have done all the troubleshooting many times, still nothing.  

When I print the printer status report, there are black brackets around each color, but no black rectangle in the black space.  I have tried copying a printed document (no color) and the page is blank.  I have cleaned the black cartridge screen gently with a paper towel, still nothing.  I've tried 2 new black cartridges.  Printer was working fine, then this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a fix! My printer was also not printing black, but I knew it wasn't an ink problem because it was a new cartridge, I cleaned the printhead using every suggestion I could find, and on the test pages it was printing black brackets around the colored lines. It was a software problem.  Another post suggested using alternate drivers for a paper size error. Please see the link below on how to choose alternate drivers....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/How-to-Assign-Alternate-Print-Drive...

I chose HP Photosmart 3300 drivers because that printer had similar features including wireless printing. It worked! Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

The black brackets in the test page are actually printed with the color inks, mixing to appear black.  For the printer not printing black the troubleshooting steps in this page may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have done all of the trouble shooting except the service part.  I have only had the printer a little over a year, so I was hoping that I could fix it myself.  Is there anything that I can clean?

HP Recommended

There are a few things folks have suggested worked for them.  One of these may help:

• Turn on the printer.  Open the lid as if you were going to change a cartridge.  Remove all the ink supplies and set them aside.  Disconnect the power (and USB cable if applicable) from the printer for a minute. Close the printer cover. Plug the power cord back in and when prompted to replace the cartridges and then reconnect the USB cable if you are connected by USB.  

• Turn on the printer.  Open the lid as if you were going to change a cartridge.  Use a damp cotton swab to gently clean the underside of the printhead.  A flashlight may help.  

• Leave the printer on overnight and try printing the next day.  Some users have reported the printer recovers after some time.

• Remove the black cartridge and use an eyedropper to drip water into the screen where the ink supply meets the printhead.

I am sorry I do not have a better answer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi, similar problem w/photosmart 309g-m; tried most of what you did and then again. Just took a dry q-tip and tried to clean the screen for the black cartridge; better and will probably try again to clear it more. Ran the clean printhead and alignment and seems to be better. Good luck

HP Recommended

To troubleshoot issues with the c309g not printing black see the document here.  If that does not resolve the issue the post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Help!!! I am having the SAME problem as You are, after changing my ink cartridge tonight. Our printers are the same age as well. How did you get this issue fixed?? Thnx...

HP Recommended

@pman474 wrote:

Help!!! I am having the SAME problem as You are, after changing my ink cartridge tonight. Our printers are the same age as well. How did you get this issue fixed?? Thnx...

What printer model? If it is the Photosmart 6510 see the post here

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I found a fix! My printer was also not printing black, but I knew it wasn't an ink problem because it was a new cartridge, I cleaned the printhead using every suggestion I could find, and on the test pages it was printing black brackets around the colored lines. It was a software problem.  Another post suggested using alternate drivers for a paper size error. Please see the link below on how to choose alternate drivers....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/How-to-Assign-Alternate-Print-Drive...

I chose HP Photosmart 3300 drivers because that printer had similar features including wireless printing. It worked! Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the response!!! What I ended up doing was taking the cartridge I had installed (it WAS new) back to the store, and exchanging it for another New cartridge. Well, it printed fine after that! So, maybe it was really a cartridge issue??!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.