Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

hp psc 2510 photosmart driver will not run

I have recently purchased a new HP all in one so I have given my old all in one away to a friend. It is an HP psc 2510 and I am having a problem installing the printer driver on their PC. Windows XP

I have tried using the original CD that came with the printer (version 3.1.1) as well as the full network version and the basic version from the hp.com website (version 4.2.1). In all cases the results are the same. The program will not run.

In the case of the downloaded version, I see the files extract to a temporary location all the way to 100% then nothing happens after it finishes. With the original CD when I run the setup.exe the screen blinks, then nothing happens.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I am wondering if Microsoft has changed something during a Windows update that is affecting this installation?

I have tried running the CD version and downloads on 2 other PC's with the same results. I even downloaded the XP version to a Vista PC to see if it would at least run after the files extracted and they did not.

Can someone please download the driver for this printer on to their PC and let me know if it runs after it has extracted all the files? Maybe HP has a corrupt file on their site?

Here is the link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=30377...

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello Darren,

Here is a link with some troubleshooting that may resolve your issue:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00836418

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for trying to help me. Unfortunately this information does not help. The information assumes that the installation has stalled somehow, whereas in my situation I can not even get the setup file to execute. When I click on the setup file it blinks then does  nothing.

I would really appreciate if if you or anyone else reading this would download the HP driver I posted in my original message and see if it will execute after it unpacks. The HP driver doesn't need to be installed and can be cancelled if it begins to install, I just want to determine if it is the actual driver or the PC's I am trying to run them on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I downloaded the basic driver for XP on a Win 7 laptop. I was able to run the installer up to the point it checked the OS and told me it was not correct for this driver.

Have you tried downloading the driver to a thumbdrive (from another network) as I have seen some modem/router problems cause downloads to be corrupt?

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for verifying.

I will try doing as you suggest and download a copy I can verify as good on a Windows 7 PC and copy it to a thumb drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I downloaded both XP versions of the printer driver from hp.com (full networked version and smaller USB only version) using Windows 7.

Verified they would execute on the Win 7 PC. Copied them to a USB stick and copied them to 2 different XP PC's and they would not execute. Just as I stated in my original post, they would both extract to 100% then nothing.

Also turned off the virus checker during this test.

This is 3 PC's that I have tried that are Win XP that will not execute these setup programs.

What next?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I just copied the download from the Win 7 laptop, copied it to a thumbdrive, then transferred it to a Win Xp PC running SP3 (not sure if it makes a difference). The installer worked fine.

You can try to manually run the installer (since it seems to have extracted 100%) by:

1. Go to the RUN command and type %temp%, then Enter

2. Find a folder that starts with 7z and open it

3. Double click the icon (not folder) called Setup

Let me know if you are successful or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried this and it did not work.

Clicking on the actual setup.exe  is similar to what I tried with the original driver CD and received the same results.

I also booted the PC in Safe Mode and was unable to execute the exe.

The PC I tested this on is Win XP Media Center Edition 2002  Service Pack 3.

I have tried it on another Media Center Edition PC as well as one using XP Home Edition.

I am suprised you were not able to duplicate my problem since I have had the same results on 3 XP PC's so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hmmm...even though you are not getting an error message, you may want to try the steps outlined in the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02455020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 31 1 2
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried the information contained in the link you sent and it did not help with my issue.

There was a step where I determined that my Windows Installer version was old. I checked on 2 of the Win XP PCs I am using and both showed V3.01 (the current is V4.5), so I optimistically upgraded both to this new version but it did not help.

Any other suggestions?

I'm still curious why it installed on the Win XP unit you tried.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation