cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
4680user Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

j4680 with shadowed text - this happened after replacing the cartridge with a brand new 901XL.

j4680 printed perfectly prior to cartridge change.   Cleaned heads and aligned cartridges.  Initial alignment fails when placing printout on face down glass with 3 dots toward controls. Msg says "Alignment page not detected" rotating the page results in a successful alignment. (Opposite the picture on the page).  

Both the cleaning output page and the alignment output page print is crisp and  clear.  However most office and adobe documents that use anything other than arial all print with a shadow by the text that may be offset left, right or below.  No rhyme or reason. 

I have tried reinstalling the printer with the latest download from the HP site - no improvement.

This printer has been a workhorse for me - any thoughts on what I should do next?  Absolutely need to print a 65 page document for a class that is readable!

1 more weird thing - ink levels have been undetectable since cartridge change as well!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
30,218 25,812 2,361 7,867
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

j4680 with shadowed text - this happened after replacing the cartridge with a brand new 901XL.

Is the new cartridge an HP or a refill/reman (third party) cartridge?  The lack of an ink level would indicate a refill/reman cartridge, or perhaps a cartridge that is not properly making electrical contact with the printer.  

The troubleshooting steps in this page may help.

If the cartridge is a reman/refill I would suggest returning it to your supplier for a replacement.  Quality of refill/reman cartridges vary greatly but are generally poor, see the page here for a study.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
4680user Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bob,

Thanks for the response. Tried the steps your recommended even though the cartridge was brand new HP replacement  and ironically replaced the exact same type of cartridge, which had worked without problems.   Alignment completes (although I do need to position the page on the glass opposite of the picture). 

I really think the problem might be drivers - some fonts print fine - others are shadowed.  They look fine in print previews.   I downloaded most recent drivers I could find.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation