cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
knownot
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

laserjet 1200 won't print multiple copies

HP Recommended
laserjet 1200
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've used my totally reliable laserjet 1200 workhorse sucessfully with XP and Vista for years. My newest computer has Win 8.1 64-bit.  I downloaded driver PCL5 (about a year ago) and it always prints well but ignores requests for more than one copy. Is this a fixable driver issue or a permanent problem?    

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,538 282 594
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suspect that the following may be the case:

• Your document is a multiple page document (i.e. not just a single page).
  • You are selecting that copies be printed 'collated' (i.e. pages 1,2,3,..,1,2,3,...,1,2,3,...) rather than 'uncollated' (i.e. pages 1,1,1,...,2,2,2,...,3,3,3,...).
  • The driver assumes that the printer can produce the multiple copies from a single copy source - this is known as MOPYing (I think that it stands for  'multiple original copying').
  • But the printer does not have MOPY capability - this is usually only available if the printer has a hard disk and/or a large RAM disk - I doubt that the LJ1200 supports either of these (but I have no access to this model to check).

You can confirm that the above is occurring by:

• 'Capturing' a sample print job to a file (using the 'print to file' option in  the Word and/or driver Print dialogue
  • Then examining the beginning of the resultant .prn file (you should be able to open it in NotePad).
  • Most of the file may be unintelligible, but the beginning will look something like:

Capture.PNG

If the SET QTY command is there, this confirms that the driver thinks that the printer will perform the copies.

If so, check the Device Settings for the printer (this example is for LJ 1320😞

Capture2.PNG

to check whether or not the system thinks that a hard disk is installed on the printer, and whether or not Mopier Mode is enabled.

If the Printer Hard disk is set to Installed, change it to Not installed.

If the Mopier Mode is set to Enabled, change it to Disabled.

Then repeat the tests to see whether or not that makes any difference.

It should do, although the print jobs sent to the printer will be larger (they will contain multiple copies).

JoeZ9
Level 1
11 6 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, this solution worked for me. I bought a new Dell last November- a 64 bit system with Windowns 8.1. I then downloaded the driver for my LaserJet 1320- but only recently noticed that it wouldn't print multiple copies. I searched for this problem, found this thread, tried what dansdaduk said, it voila, it worked! I was worried I'd have to uninstall my driver, reinstall, etc., etc.

Thanks a million!

But, weirdly, my MS Windows update now lists a driver for this printer which is dated Dec. 2012. Good thing I didn't try installing it!

Joe

0 Kudos
ValFinAdmin
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, dansdaduk.  This fix worked perfectly.  Symptoms were exactly the same as the previous poster, including purchasing a new system with Windows 8.1.  The LJ 1320 wouldn't communicate with 8.1, with regard to printing multiple copies of a document.  Now, all functionality including printing on both sides has been restored.

The LJ 1320 is a workhorse that has served us well for many years.  Losing it would have been very unfortunate in our office.  Now we need to find a fix for a Dymo 400 Turbo Labelmaker. 

0 Kudos
JanetD1
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am about to go through this posting in early March regarding how to get into the printer device settings to follow the instructions for making my [sturdy and reliable 1200 HP Laserjet black printer, no fax, no colour] print multiple copies in newly upgraded to W10 from W7 laptop -- in W7, I had adjusted the mopier and job storage settings.  Just wondering, before I start searching for this page in my W10 settings, how to find it...  a quick guide to where, from someone?  I have just upgraded to W10 from W7 on my laptop and am not that computer literate.  Also, has a new driver been issued for this printer by any chance that would take care of this, and if so could someone tell me how to download and install [from where exactly, very clear instructions if you don't mind].  Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
JanetD1
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fantastic, dansaduk's March 26th 2015 instructions worked perfectly.  Thank you very much.

For some reason I couldn't find the spot in W10 to do this, but now I did.  To any other newbies, when you click on the printer to get the settings, you have to go way down to the bottom of the page to get the menu headings [I didn't see it down there at first] and then when you get to the boxes to click on the commands to get the advanced settings, etc., you have to wait while the software loads it up, it takes a minute or two...

One wish I would have with Windows programmers would be to make these more obvious to find.

0 Kudos
Fsc_53
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much.
It was many years that I had given up on solving the problem !!
HP is forever !!!
My first product Hp 33 years ago ...

Francesco

0 Kudos
GONZAH
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just discovered the answer, (I'm now using windows 10)

You have to turn off the job storage in advanced properties.  At the same time, under quick task print sets, you name it for future use.  I use m2 for 2 copies, m3 for 3 copies etc.    Then save this.

Also just to clariy, having read the above answers, in device settings (under printer properties) nevertheless job storage must be enabled for this to work.

0 Kudos
JanetD1
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gonzah, I am not where I can try out your instructions, which seem a little different, but I will give that a try and see what happens.  I am in Europe right now and not at home where I have Windows 10, am using another older laptop with an ancient Windows on it...  The method I tried, described just above yours, worked just fine.  I think I'll leave it with what I did, since I can now print multiple copies.  There must be more than one way to skin a printer...!  [Cats I prefer with nice fur on.]

0 Kudos
JanetD1
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gonzah, I am not where I can try out your instructions, which seem a little different, but I will give that a try and see what happens.  I am in Europe right now and not at home where I have Windows 10, am using another older laptop with an ancient Windows on it...  The method I tried, described just above yours, worked just fine.  I think I'll leave it with what I did, since I can now print multiple copies.  There must be more than one way to skin a printer...!  [Cats I prefer with nice fur on.]

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation