Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Julie_Gonya Tutor
Tutor
6 0 2
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

laserjet 4250tn 49.4c06 errors printing web pages

In the last 2 weeks, we started receiving this error often.  It has the lastest firmware for the printer, 8.240.1, and  I have tried the latest PCL 6 and PS drivers with Windows 7 64-bit.  My users get it with the http://chronicle.com site and the ncaa.org site.  There are probably others, but these are the only 2 I could pinpoint so far.  I have tried on more then one 4250 printer.  We have 3 in the building all doing this.

10 REPLIES
Associate Dean Associate Dean
Associate Dean
7127 554 973
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That would indicate an issue with the page(s) they are trying to print. You could try loading a different browser to see if printing those pages from the other browser now works. If not you could try to save the file and then try to print the saved file.
0 Kudos
Julie_Gonya Tutor
Tutor
6 0 2
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printing to a different brand of printer seems to be the only solution.  The Xerox printers do not have this problem.  There seems to be more and more web sites giving us this problem with the HP's.  PDF's sent to my users seem to have this problem often.  You have to figure out which user has the print job causing this error and have them delete it out of their printer queue, and then turn off/on the printer.  It is quite a hassle with  a network printer that has around 10 users.  If you just turn off/on the printer, the error will return until you delete it out of the users print queue.

You can get around pdf's by choosing "print as image", but you already wasted time trying to figure out which computer is sending the print job, deleteing it, and then restarting the printer.  I haven't seen any new firmware updates to fix this problem.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
839 66 104
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Julie Gonya,

Have you tried using the Postscript version of Universal Print Driver (UPD-PS) or the one built in the Windows 7 OS?

It would be suggested to use UPD-PS driver for printing PDF files.  The 49.xx error could be noticed while processing a job which is too complex for the printer hardware to process, job transmission or network communication issues, but rarely hardware related.

Saving an attachment or web file to local disk before printing, simplyfying complex jobs would be some of the steps which could be performed to troubleshoot the error & uderstand cause.

Try to simplify the print job if it is actually too complex for the device to process.  If a particular page or few pages are containing complex images or graphics then you may try to print those pages separate from the other pages.  Other way to simplify job could be printing pages in small page groups (group of 5, 10, 15 pages depending on total number of pages in the job & error frequency/symptoms).

If you are experiencing error while printing a particular file type, you may also try to print it from the printer's web console (EWS page).  This method would not use local drivers installed on PC, but would be directly processed by printer.

Hope this helps!

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
0 Kudos
Julie_Gonya Tutor
Tutor
6 0 2
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried the Universal print drivers for postscript, the lastest version.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
657 26 70
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, what browser are you using? Also, if it is only happening with webpages it has to do with the browser itself. I have come across this many times over the last several months, after much troubleshooting, on different models, with firmware up to date, I have concluded that selecting print from the tool bar icon causes the issue. But, when selecting the print hyperlink on the webpage it works fine. Reason being the hyperlink converts the page to a printable version, while the tool bar does not, so it is sending the print job with the flash/java/html script to the printer causing the 49 error code. I have noticed this issue on the latest versions of IE, and Firefox, although mostly on IE.

Hope this helps....

0 Kudos
jarileysu Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this issue yet? (aside from tracking down the one computer that is attempting to print the item and delete it)

0 Kudos
BTuszynski Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So no solution to this issue... Great job HP!!!!  As always... FAIL!  We have the same issue at our firm with models 4300, 4250, 4350, 4015 and 4515.

Is it possible it has something to do with a missing font????

0 Kudos
DavidInIB Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We are encountering this issue on random printers, but we get a call about once a week with the49.4C06 issue.  All that we can think of is that there is something "new" in printing PDF images or documents.  I see above that an image may be "too complex", but this happens with regular documents also.  The confusing part is that this is so random.  All that we have been able to do is throw the latest firmware and drivers at it and see if it works.  In a few occassions we have had to recommend a new(er) printer.  This does seem to be related to the LaserJet 42xx series printers only.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
657 26 70
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, if you do not want to go the route of locating the machine that is sending the job, and you have already updated firmware/cleared que. I would change the IP address of the printer and issue will be resolved, but then again that might be too much work to change all workstations to map to the machine depending on the network size. I will say, going that route you can make sure all users are installed through the server, so when this happens again you can just simply clear the que and reboot machine.

Hope this helps....

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation