cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kevinsr
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

laserjet M1536dnf error message "49 error turn off and turn on" Win7 SP1

After a couple of power failures in a few minutes I tried to turn on the printer and get the message "49 error, turn off and turn on".

I disconnected everything and reconnected the power cable: up to 5 arrows show in the screen on the printer and the message

show up again. I have tried powering down and restarting with the same results. A lot of the sights indicate this could be a firmware problem but I can't connect to the machine to update it. I would appreciate any suggestion you may have. Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Kevinsr,

This issue seems to have many causes...here is some information I found regarding it:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/4lnv6-keep-getting-49-error-turn-off-back-when-trying.html

and

http://www.fixya.com/support/t3663037-49_error_turn_off_problem

and

http://www.fixya.com/support/t3142968-hp_lasjet_1522nf_displays_error_49_turn

Hope this info helps...let me know!

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
dshirsh
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a problem with my new M451dn last week that generated the dreaded 'Error 49 Turn off and turn on' error. I printed out the Service report and it showed the 49.3870 error being generated. No other info on it. Called HP support and they ended up sending me a new printer. Guess what? Same error, still showing up intermittently. Tried changing drivers, using the universal one as well. Same issue.

The solution:

This printer was replacing another HP laser that was configured as DHCP. I had a resesrvation defined on the DHCP server. Well, instead of just updating the reservations MAC address I decided to just set up the printer as a static IP using the same IP info. That's when the problem started. Out of curiousity I changed the reservations MAC address to match the new printers one and switched the printer back to Automatic (DHCP). Voila, it works great.

I suspect there is some sort of IP conflict that occurs when you use a static IP that is already held by a DHCP reservation. I'm sure it is detectable by the printer side. HP needs to modify the firmware to sense this issue and post a 'DHCP Conflict' message to the display. Would have saved me several hours troubleshooting time.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation