Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet p1109w
Linux

I'm trying to install a LaserJet p1109w under Debian Linux. The printer installs and is recognised just fine, but it needs a proprietary plug-in to print properly, and attempting to download the plug-in with hp-plugin gives the following error

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.8)
Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Checking for network connection...
Downloading plug-in from:
error: Plugin download failed with error code = 127
error: file does not match its checksum. File may have been corrupted or altered

Done.

As you can see, the installer bombs once it sees this checksum error, and I can't get past this point. There is a way to use a plugin which you already have, but I don't have the file, and I can't find any other way to get it other than to use the installer. 

I tried HP's support. Phone support directed me to chat support, chat support told me they only dealt with Windows and Mac and referred me back to the original site from which I got hplip. 

Obviously this is just going round and round in circles. Before I pack the printer up and send it back to Amazon, does anybody know of another way to get a copy of the plugin file? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

OK, thanks to one of the people on the Debian users mailing list, I have the solution. 

1) Uninstall the copy of HPLIP which you probably have installed from your distro's repositories. At least for the Debian version, it's not recognised. 

2) Download and install HPLIP from 

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_professional_p1109w.html

3) Go to

https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/

and download the latest *.run.

4. 'mkdir plugin' and move your file into it.

5. The file is a shell script containing needed plugins and other files.
Make it executable with 'chmod 755 *.run' and look at its help with
'./*.run -h'.

6. Check what you are going to install by using './*.run --tar vxf' to
extract the files from the script.

7. Install (as root) with './*.run'.

Works for me, at any rate. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.