Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ch7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my printer keeps saying its cover is open

My printer for some reason thinks its cover is open, so ity will not print.

How do i fix this? i have tried turning it off and restarting it, but this does nothing. I have unplugged it also to no effect.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Ch7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

oh and it is a DeskJet Printer D2660.

0 Kudos
rossdon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with a n OfficeJet J5750.  There is a little metal switch that gets pushed down by a plastic protrusion on the lid.  I could not determine any damage to either the plastic protrusion or the switch but if I pushed the switch down with a screw driver while holding the lid open I could get the "cover open" message to go away allowing the printer to operate.  It appeared the lid protrusion no longer pressed the switch far enough in to trigger that the lid was closed.  I fixed my problem by putting some tape on the end of the protrusion to make it a little longer so it would push the switch in far enough.  Hope this helps you.

rossdon

0 Kudos
teenagers Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my printer does not want to print. it say my cover is open. I have tried everything

0 Kudos
Maurice9441 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

printer deskjet 6840 keeps sayin "the cover is opened"

0 Kudos
Retired eric-g
Retired
2609 2219 17 43
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Chrystyna79 Please Note: Thread "my printer keeps saying its cover is open"

I worked for HP.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7164 6880 341 887
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Maurice9441.

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Deskjet6840.  I have done some research on the issue. Please click on the link that I have provided on how to Resetting the Printer. If this does NOT resolve your issue, please contact HP Total Care direct at 1-800-474-6836 or if you are outside North America, please click on the following link to Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank you so much for your time.     Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
JBoz Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Open up the pop out panel on the right side, and jam foam rubber in the hole to prop the switch open.    When you need to change ink cartridges, yank out the foam rubber while you do that, or, use a Dremel tool to saw down the plastic wall that pops up to prevent you from replacing cartridges while the lid is allegedly closed.    What a cockamamie design.   I swear that the Door Open switch is PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE.    Everyone with an HP printer will have this problem after owning it for 3-5 years.      Hey, if you have had your printer for a few years, take a look UNDERNEATH the cartridges.   What kind of gunky swampgas HAZMAT pile of goo is that?   ha ha ha ha.   PLEASE RECYCLE.

0 Kudos
JBoz Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HAZMAT swampgas comment is just a joke.     You can clean your printer if you are careful, take time, and don't make a mess.     However, regarding the door-open switch, popping the right panel off and jamming foam rubber to prop the switch open ACTUALLY WORKS.    Just don't be a child and stick your fingers in there while printing.    That's what all this door open nonsense is about.   The World thinks that people are children, and HP has taken sides with the World in this matter.   Hence, OMG!  DOOR OPEN!   GATHER UP THE CHILDREN AND PREVENT THEM FROM TOUCHING ANYTHING!   OMG!   WHAT IF THEY GET AN INKY FINGER!   AAAAAAAHHHHHGGGGGRRRRGG!

0 Kudos
JBoz Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Resetting the printer" is a stale link.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation