cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
2 1 0 3
Message 31 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is the most impratical solution I have ever heard of for a problem that happens frequently.  HP used to be known for quality,  I can't believe they can't provide a firmware  fix for this.

Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 3
Message 32 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Goneal7  solution Worked flawlessly!! 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946198

It is insane to power cycle router, printer and what not.

To work around this problem, disable SNMP on the printer port. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
  2. Right-click the printer, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Ports tab.
  4. Click Configure Port.
  5. Click to clear the SNMP Status Enabled check box, click OK, and then click Close.
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 33 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My wife is going crazy with the problem. The printer is always off line. I reset everything numerous time. HOWEVER. I use a Mac Book Pro and I have never ever had this problem with any of my Mac Devices. IMAC two MBP. It would lead me to believe its a Windows problem. FOR WHAT IS WORTH,

Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 34 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Assuming the printer is switched on, operational and configured for wireless.. but goes offline from time to time after it has worked at least once..

The real issue is that the printer needs to have a fixed-ip address assigned by the router. Routers normally assign new IP address to devices each time the device or router is power-cycled.

So the first time you map you computer to see your wireless printer the computer notes the IP address at which it saw the printer. So if the printer or the router are power cycled the IP address can change and then the computer cannot see the printer @ the old IP address and as such thinks it is “off line”

You need to go to your router configuration pages (the ones you get when you type 192.168.1.1 into a browser) .. the configuration will differ by manufacture and router type but they will all be able to assigning fixed-ip addresses to devices. The router can remember which device is which as it will make a note of the MAC Address (which is fixed and unique for all devices with network presence). Then when either the printer or the router is power cycled the printer will always appear at the same IP address eg 192.168.1.3.

On the netgear-smartWIZARD config pages this is under [LAN Setup] – Address Reservation. Check your router help pages to find the same setting on your device.

Once you have done that re-map the printer (worst case just remove it & add it back).. From then on the computer will note the IP address and the router will always keep it at the address and so the computer can always find it.

Turing the router & computer on and off just have the effect of resetting them both to the same IP address but the next time the router or printer is turned on/off the computer will lose track of it and you have to repeat all over again.

(IP address is a network address that allows things to be looked up .. most routers assign a new and different address each time they see a device even if they have seen the same device before (call DHCP) .. so the same device (e.g. printer) may get a new address each time it is seen by the router after it is powered on)

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 35 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"The real issue is that the printer needs to have a fixed-ip address assigned by the router"

printer has a fixed ip given by the router. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 36 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Delete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 37 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BG-support wrote:

Solution!!!

- I had the same problem. My printer shows as it is offline all the time.

- I noticed that somehow the "use printer offiline" is checked (i dont know why, it just does it automatically)

- when i uncheck it, it will print again

Start menu / Devices and Printers / double click on the printer (or click see whats printing) /  click Printer (on top menu bar) / then uncheck use printer offline

I hope this helps

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 38 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I used to be a loyal HP user but will not buy other HP_POS until it is confirmed that this problem has been fixed.  It is extremely frustrating when I am trying to work and I am not an hourly employee. I am paid on performance and this HP equipment is costing me money!!! {Content Removed}

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 39 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just give it a little time, they'll fail too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 40 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My printer is HP Laser jet 1212nf MFC.

By default it was already alloted a WSD port. Everything was working fine, but now it keeps on going Offline.

When I go to the Printer page and try to hit "configur" to see if it set up properly, I receive an :error" message.

The only way to receive a printed page is to reboot the commputer and only then the printout comes back. It works for a few minutes but again it stops printing till I reboot.

This is very frustating. 

Can some one help?

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation