Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 61 (66,784 Views)
Accepted Solution

my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection?

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

Hello gerrie,

What i would do is Power cycle the printer and the router as well

-basically having them turned off for about 10-15 seconds

-and then powering back the router back on wait for all the lights to turn on completely

-and after that is back up and running i would turn the printer back on and re-establish the connection between the printer and the Wireless network

View solution in context
Teacher
Message 2 of 61 (66,768 Views)

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

Hello gerrie,

What i would do is Power cycle the printer and the router as well

-basically having them turned off for about 10-15 seconds

-and then powering back the router back on wait for all the lights to turn on completely

-and after that is back up and running i would turn the printer back on and re-establish the connection between the printer and the Wireless network

I am an HP employee.

__ if this Solution has helped Please Mark as Resolved and feel free to Provide a Kudos__
Student
Message 3 of 61 (66,526 Views)

This happens to my wireless printer a lot.  yes, those steps work, but why must I go through them every time I want to print?  Is there no way to stabilize the connection?

Top Student
Message 4 of 61 (65,938 Views)

Seems like all HP's printers go offline a lot.

Mine does it everyday too.

All I can find is a lot of questions of WHY? Doesn't HP know the answer? Will someone post it please?

The power down option every **bleep** day is a bit tiresome.

I have Officejet 7410 and network defaults have been set, re-attach to network after powerdown, updated latest drivers, upgraded to a mega compatible wireless router, all the latest drivers, etc.........

give me a break HP.

I gave up on HP desktops a long time ago after multiple mother board failures on multiple models.

Please help before I give up on HP Printers too.

Thanks!   

Student
Message 5 of 61 (65,713 Views)

kc2la wrote:

This happens to my wireless printer a lot.  yes, those steps work, but why must I go through them every time I want to print?  Is there no way to stabilize the connection?

Honor Student
Message 6 of 61 (64,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too, have this problem.  To now, I can't get the printer to be recognized by the HP computer at all.  It says there is a driver missing so I downloaded again and still says 'offline'.  I uninstalled everything and started over and still 'offline'.   I've gone through this every single day that I wanted to print something.  It has been close to 4hrs. and I still don't have one document printed.  I tried to send an email to HP and that process is just maddening.  It is a great looking printer that just has too many cliches, now a dust collector.  Very disappointed in HP.  So today I cut my losses and bought a different make from another company.  So that is how I resolved this issue.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 61 (64,800 Views)

My printer (Officejet 6500A Plus-710n) has been doing the same thing, and even after taking the steps suggested, continues to go off-line. It almost always says I have to add the MAC address of the printer to the wireless router, but that has been done, and checked several time for validity, and the same thing happens continuoussly. I have the printer connected to 2 laptops and a PC. Does that have anything to do with it?

Student
Message 8 of 61 (64,411 Views)

My p1102w worked just fine for months, after vacation it started turning off by itself. If I turn it on it will turn off again. I am at an office so our computers plug into a network wire I dont have a modem. I have tried powering it off and it dosent seem to matter.

I think something happened here but not sure how to fix it.

Honor Student
Message 9 of 61 (64,269 Views)

I had three computers hooked up to my HP ePrinter and still it went offline whenever it wanted to.  It worked for the first few months, no problem, then everytime I went to use it it was 'offline'.  I had to start from the beginning each time, reinstalling drivers, router, etc.  So now, I check to see if it is offline before I use that printer.  The only way it works now is if I'm hooked up to it by printer cable, which defeats the purpose of a 'wireless' printer.  I even tried it again today and yes, it's 'offline'. So I can only say that it is just a bad printer.  If there is a solution I don't know about it. 

Honor Student
Message 10 of 61 (64,230 Views)

[ Edited ]

they ALL can't be bad printers...sounds like the "wireless" just isn't as wireless as they made it out to be...lol. I'm thinking about returning it for a different model. My husband has another HP model at his office...4, actually, and has not had any problems with them yet, and they are about 6 mos. old. Can't remember the exact model, but will post later if anyone is interested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation