cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
glowbug
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

new 6510 - alignment failed but looks ok

HP Recommended

I'm setting up a new Photosmart 6510 for the first time. I'm getting the following error message every time I try to align the cartridges:

"Alignment Failed: You may continue but Cartridges are not calibrated for best print quality. Touch ok to continue."

The print alignment page looks like it is supposed to and I am using the cartridges that came with the printer. I tried removing the cartridges and made sure they snapped back into place. I tried cleaning the printhead, and  I also tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor which tells me the printer is working correctly.

How do I get rid of this error?

Also, is the printer supposed to scan the alignment page after it prints the alignment page because I don't think that is happening either.

7 REPLIES 7
Shane_R
Level 11
7,948 7,667 685 1,133
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It looks like it should be asking for the alignment page to be scaned.  If it's not it may be a problem with the firmware.  Run through the document linked below to try and clear up the problem.  Let me know what happens.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03360491

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
glowbug
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Immediately after printing the alignment page, I still get the same error message. I tried putting the alignment page on the scanner before pressing OK to the error, but nothing happens when I press OK. I don't know if the paper type is an issue, but it is blank white printer paper. 

Shane_R
Level 11
7,948 7,667 685 1,133
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm thinking there may be something in the firmware that's glitching and causing the alignment to not ask for the page to be scanned.  Follow the steps below to update the firmware.  Once that's done, try the alignment again.  Let me know what happens.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02879685

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
glowbug
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The firmware says it is up to date. I tired the Print Quality Diagnostic Report and it looks like there might be errors along the left edge of the page. The report also says Pen Alignment Status: Fail. ScanCrop.jpg If I clean the printhead, it makes the report look worse. 

Shane_R
Level 11
7,948 7,667 685 1,133
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Before I have you contact HP tech support to see about a replacement, I want to have you try to do a semi-full reset.  I'll send you more information and the steps via private message.

Signature
adrakatan
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photosmart 6510 not printing black ink. Have all brand new cartridges and have cehcked venting area. I have done the clean print head and tested the alignment. I got an error  You may continue but cartridges are not calibrated for best print quality. I can print in other colors, but not black. My printer is out of warranty. I have read around on these forums today and am about to go buy a NON-HP printer! I seems like this is a common issue. Please help, I'm super frustrated

TheBotman
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The same thing is going on with my priter as well. I have tried aligning and cleaning the printheads, the alignment page is not printing correctly; and the printer displays this message "you may continue but cartridges are not calibrated for best print quality."

I have even used the HP Scan and Print Doctor. It will not print in black, and if it does it prints it in a light blue or grey color. I have tried resetting the printer, I have also restored all factory defaults. And currently at a loss of what to do...

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation