Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Message 1 of 2 (1,075 Views)

officejet 4500 fax error 350, invalid registry

One year old J4500 All-in-one was working fine on my Windows XP, then Fax quit working, and can't scan to pc.

On faxing I get error message  350, and "image on Fax Send report is set to OFF"  I can't find this fax send option anywhere to change the setting.  My "test Fax" print does not provide any clues, with PASDS on the six primary test items at the top. Tried HP Device doctor and it stops at "invalid registry".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times; downloaded the full installation package from the web site, but the problem is not corrected.  Sure hope someone has a quick fix.

My Computer literacy on a scale of 1 to 10 : probably around a 6

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 2 (1,066 Views)

Re: officejet 4500 fax error 350, invalid registry

[ Edited ]

Hi JohnnyCas,

The printer can put an image of the first page of the outgoing fax on the Fax Send report.  It can only do this if the fax is sent using the scan and fax method.  This means the printer performs a scan of the Fax and then sends it.  The printer retains an image of the fax in memory.

From the User Guide for the J4500 Officejet:

Load your originals. For additional information, see Load an original on the scanner
glass or Load an original in the automatic document feeder (ADF).
NOTE: The ADF is available for some models only.
2. Press the left arrow or right arrow to select Fax B&W or Fax Color , and then
press OK.
3. Enter the fax number by using the keypad, press Speed Dial to select a speed dial,
or press Redial/Pause to redial the last number dialed.
4. Press right arrow until Fax Method appears, and then press OK.
5. Press right arrow until Scan & Fax appears, and then press OK.
6. Press Start.
The device scans the originals into memory and sends the fax when the receiving fax
machine is available.

The support document below explains all of the 3 digit codes you can get:

This is the error 350 section of the document:

The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.

The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line.

The remote user pressed the Stop key while the reception was in progress.

Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines might cause the remote machine to abandon the call.

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

Disable ECM. Errors might still occur, and might result in a degraded image quality on the received page. However, the ability to send the entire document will be improved.

Try sending at a lower transmission speed.

This is a good fax troubleshooting document on

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation