cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rwernst Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

officejet 4500 how to manually answer or receive a fax?

HP Officejet 4500, do not want it normally set to auto answer so that's off.

Is there a button or easy way to tell it to answer the phone as it rings, telling it to answer the phone and receive an expected fax?

Going through the menus to turn autoanswer on as the phone rings, then remembering and going through the menus again to disable auto-answer is a pain.

Computer attached is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, but this should apply even if the computer is off.

Thanks,

Rich

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Intern Intern
Intern
42 42 1 10
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

To answer a fax manually you just have to hit the large green start button on the front of the printer when an incoming fax is coming in.

If you recieve faxes often enough but do not want auto answer picking up your phone calls as well you can call your phone company and ask to get a 2nd number on the same line with a distinctive ring pattern. 

That way with auto answer on you can set your printer to only pick up faxes with that particular ring pattern and use that 2nd number as your fax number.

Though I may work for HP, my opinion is my own.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Highlighted
rwernst Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Wonderful, thanks! I didn't find that in the manual, so this is great info and am glad I found this forum for the answer!
0 Kudos
buster75 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I found your solution (push big green btton) just in time to receive the prescription from my husband's doctor's office.  THANK you so much; it's been a stressfull day and I wasn't able to figure out how to receive their fax and the dr's office was about to give up on me.  Your help was a blessing.

0 Kudos
anetta Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I connected  phone cord into  the printer and phone line  when the faxing person sending the fax the phone rings what do i do next remember only one phone line

0 Kudos
anetta Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

thanks a lot 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation