Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to set up this new Officejet 4500 all in one for my friend.

The paper absolutely will not feed.  I even propped up the front end of the unit a bit hoping that gravity would help.  I'm using a stack of new 24 lb bond white paper.

I've looked at a couple of the online how-tos and all instructions have been followed to the letter, several times.  I have not been able to open the rear roller area to take a look.  But the printer hasn't had any use yet.

What now?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi mjha,

Follow the steps in the document below.

The All-in-One Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I tried the method in the link you posted before I started this thread.

I fact, I tried it a couple of times.

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi mjha,

Check the private message I sent, and let me know if this helps resolve the issue?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have found that closing the final stage of the paper tray (the small flap with the flange for catching the printed paper) and only using a small number of sheets in the tray (10 or so) greatly improves the liklihood that the printer will be able to feed. I have been dealing with this issue for a few months now, with intermittent luck.

HP Recommended

Hi ericwilliamsneu, 

Follow the steps in the video to clean the paper pickup rollers. This will resolve the issue with the paper being picked up. 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am making this account across all the boards I can find to give two definitive answers to this question once and for all.

SOlution for this who have come across this is to:

1 Remove all Paper from stack.

2 At the top edge of the paper stack facing printer, gently curl the edge with a pencil of similar instrument.

3 Load paper into tray and using a flashlight or other   make sure that the curling edge is going up along loader(The white piece in the back)

4 Start the test print process, hold the red X while pressing okay, and ensure that the sheets now load through.

Enjoy!

Secondary solution.

The problem in both cases comes from the roller lacking enough friction to pull the paper, proper cleaning of the roller is preventive of this but in some cases it is not enough. In that case a few simple solutions are available.

1 Use a small Hair 

2 Coat roller in a light layer of rubber cement, found in most bicycle repair kits.

3 Use of a latex Pencil grip on roller.

Hopefully this help Every who has come across this aggravating issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.