Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My officejet 4500 wireless all-in-one printer won't scan or print copies from the  printer. How do I fix this? or do I have to purchase a new printer?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Kmallen,

Do not go out and buy a new printer yet!  It may be possible to fix the problem!

You didn't say what kind of computer you are using, I will provide a general guide to get you pointed in the right direction.  Read through and then pick where you want to start.

==========================================================================

Install Printer Driver / Software

If your printer stops working (and it’s not a hardware problem), it may be due to software or driver issues.  There are tools to help you diagnose the problem and help documents to guide you to success. 

In many cases, you can (re)install Full Feature Software for your printer to enhance its capabilities and provide a complete printing experience.

Help Files - Print and Network Issues:

Setup and Internet Connection Issues on a Wireless Network with Windows 7

If you are not running Windows 7, go all the way to the bottom of the document and Click on "See Also" for links to Vista and XP documents.  Even if you are running "7", there are some other links in the "See Also" section that may help you.

HP Scan Diagnostic Utility

Description Scan Diagnostics:  HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was created to help users troubleshoot and correct connectivity problems with HP All-in-One devices and software on Windows-based computers. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the utility.

HP Print Diagnostic Utility

Description Print Diagnostics:  HP Print Diagnostic Utility was created to help users troubleshoot and correct many common problems on Windows-based computers that can prevent printing.Follow the on-screen instructions to run the utility.

Wireless Printing Center

This is your online reference guide to setting up your home network and HP printer for wireless printing.

How to Get Your Printer Working with Windows 7

If you have recently changed your operating system (OS) to Windows 7, this document is your guide to getting your HP printer working with the new operating system.

The drivers for your HP product are already included in the new Windows 7 operating system! You do not need to download drivers to use the product. Keep reading to learn how to install the print driver

A print driver is a software program that allows the computer to run the HP product that is in Windows 7 (in-OS drivers) with your HP product.

==========================================================================

If you want to (re)install the basic driver or Full Feature Software:

Drivers control hardware connected to the computer (wired or wireless).

Software controls the programs that interact with the User.

• Go to the top of the forum page to Support and Drivers
  • Enter your Printer Model information, and then go to Software and Drivers...
  • Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu...  Scroll down
  • Look for category Driver Product Installation
  • Select the appropriate Basic Driver or Full Feature Software – if available for your printer …
  • Save the *.exe installation package on your computer -
  • NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads"

NOTE:  There is sometimes a lot of information at your printer’s website.  Be sure to take an extended look at what’s available.

Previous Install of Full Feature Software:

If you have installation problems with the Full Feature Software, you may have to remove a previous copy of the software.

Control Panel > Programs and Features > find “your software package”

> Right-Click and Uninstall

Previous Printer Driver:

If you have problems with driver installation, you may have to remove any previous print driver for your printer.  You will see the driver only if the printer is connected to the computer (wired or on the network).  The Device Manager only controls hardware devices it can “see”.

Control Panel >  Device Manager > Imaging Devices >

“Officejet print Driver” > Right-Click > Uninstall 

If you remove software and/or driver:

REBOOT your system and log in

NOTE:  If you don't wish to reboot, then at least CLEAN the registry. 

Need a registry cleaner?  Download the free version of CCleaner – see below.

Install the new Software / Driver:

If you have 'Admin' rights, you can Double-Click on the *.exe package to install it

Else

Highlight the file, Right-Click, Select 'run as Administrator', and install the Software / Driver.

HINT:  Keep the *.exe file(s) - you can reuse if needed.

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is Kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program ills.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 20 seconds (Dragon-fur says, "... I like 60 seconds.")
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup.
  • Power on - Log in
  • Test the sound
  • Next time you shut down the system, put the battery back in.

You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out; if you like - just put the battery back in the first time and be done with it.

Tools List:

Speccy - System Information Tool – (Select and install the Free Version):

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Sidebar:  Speccy contains a core / CPU temperature monitor in its box of tools, a software list, and lots of helpful information.

Registry Cleaner – CCleaner (Select and install the free version):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download 

NOTES on Registry Cleaners:

Registry cleaners will usually do no harm – however, anytime you affect the registry with changes, you risk your system’s stability.  CCleaner does include the offer to make a backup of your registry prior to making any changes.

If you select to download and install another registry cleaner, please uninstall CCleaner.  One of these things on the system at a time is enough…

If a registry Cleaner does not offer to do a backup prior to making changes: be sure you EXPORT the registry manually PRIOR to using the cleaner.  If anything happens that you don’t expect, you will have an extra layer of protection on which to fall back.

IMO: Stay away from Registry Mechanic.  I had this on my systems – it has been cleansed, removed, deleted, and dropped in the Zeros bucket.  This is a Personal Opinion.

======================================================================

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star next to the Post that helps you.

Mark a Post “Accept as Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I receive a message stating out of paper, but there is paper in the tray

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you are trying to do scanning/copying job, do you see if the scanner bulb turns on and move? Do you

see any error message on the UI like "Scanner Failure"?

Try to run the HP scan diagnostic tool, follow the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02788621

" Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
. "
HP Recommended

officejet 4500 wireless all-in-one won't scan

Document to scan in in tray. Arrow on display has been moved to scan. 

The green button has been pressed.

Screen displays "Scan To"

What do I do next?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.