cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nedas
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

officejet 5740 not printing

HP Recommended
officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi

I just bought a officejet 5740 installed all the HP software on my surface pro 2. I am able to print from wordpad or the included HP app, however i am unable to print directly from office or adobe reader. I have office 2013 and the latest adobe reader.  I have installed/uninstalled the software/printer drivers, followed troubleshooting instructions listed in the hp website. But nothing. 

In word for example when I press print it looks like its working, the printer que shows up but the printer que is empty with no outgoing jobs. and nothing prints.  In wordpad, i press print it prints no problem. From the HP app i select the document and it prints no problem. But i cant get it to print from any office 2013 program or Adobe pdf reader, and a few other programs.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @nedas,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet 5740 not printing on your Windows 8 surface pro 2. I am happy to help!

What happens when you run the HP Print and Scan Doctor?

I would recommend to take a look through this guide, 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8.

Also Wireless Direct, and ePrint, might be an alternative method as well to get you printing.

Hope this helps, and hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
rockinjock
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue. 

Go to Print.

Click Advanced

Tick the Box ' Print as Image'

This fixed everything for me - I think the printer doesnt like all the extra baggage that some pdf's carry...

0 Kudos
shanson68
Level 1
6 6 0 3
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I, too, am having printing problems from Office 2013 and my new HP 5740 printer using my Toshiba Satellite laptop over my home wireless system. I have run HP Printer Doctor and reinstall drivers several times. The test page prints fine, as do any web pages. It's Office docs that cause the problem. FYI, docs printed from my Dell desktop (Office 2010) seem to print, though quite slowly. Love to hear any fixes you might recommend. Both laptop and desktop are at Windows 10.

All printing from both computers to my older HP 8500 work fine.

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi shanson68,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

If the printer works from other programs besides Microsoft Office 2013, then most likely a setting needs to be changed in Microsoft Office. it could also be a driver related issue as well.

What happens when you try to print from Microsoft Office? Do you get any error messages? If so, what are the messages? 

In the meantime, please try the following steps:

Then run the HP Print and Scan Doctor, and let me know what happens! 

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
shanson68
Level 1
6 6 0 3
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. The HP Scan Doctor report shows everything is fine. Only Microsoft Office 2013 docs won't print- no error message.  On the printer, I see a "Printing..." message, followed  by a clearing of the document after 4-5 minutes and everything is back to normal (but no document). It's like it just disappears into thin air. Works fine from my Dell desktop and Office 2010.

My guess is that it's something with Office 2013 under Windows 10.  For now, I'm just pointing Office print jobs from my laptop to my old HP 8500.

RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi shanson68,

An additional option for you is to try contacting Microsoft Office Support for further assistance. perhaps they may know of some settings that can be changed.

Best regards! :generic:

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
shanson68
Level 1
6 6 0 3
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK. Everything (Office 2013, Windows 10) works fine pointing to my HP8500. Not so on my HP5740.  Basic process of elimination tells me the variable here is the HP5740. I don't think MIcrosoft is going to buy-in that this is their problem.

As I said, I can work around this problem. Just wondering if anyone else has run into it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi shanson68,

At this point I would recommend to please contact HP, phone support for further assistance. perhaps someone can remote in and take a closer look for you. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

shanson68
Level 1
6 6 0 3
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I'll give them a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation