Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet 5742
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi hope you can help.

I have an officejet 5742 I have used for the last 2 yrs with on issues.

Due to a problem with my internet connection I had to reset up my printer.

As I refill my cartriges as normal as done for the last 2 yrs, the printer has updated its self with a KILL switch sortware, I now get the dreaded "ink cartrige problem"

I recal reading a statement made by the ceo of HP when there was a big outrage that the update would only affect a few printers mine not being one of them!

Well I can say categorically this is not the case and is widespread.

Any ideas how to remove kill code.

I have changed my settings back to "not auto update via printer or laptop"

a bit after the horse has bolted.

Any help?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @yourstuffsucks, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues using refilled ink cartridges on your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Try updating the printer firmware to the latest version and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update printer firmware.

Once you have updated the printer firmware, try using the refilled cartridges and check if it prints.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, it was the latest firmware update that caused the issue.

I was released September 2016, the users that did not update were unaffected, due to my laptop crashing I inadvertently updated firmware.

In the meantime I just need this matter resolved.

Regards

HP Recommended

@yourstuffsucks, Thanks for getting back in time, I was waiting for your response.

As you mentioned the issue occurred after updating the September 2016 firmware.

I would suggest you can try performing a semi full reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Since the steps to perform semi full reset is confidential I will send you the steps in a private message. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi did reset, printer even worse now.

No function possibe now, just get "Ink cartridge problem" constantly!.

I am unable to scan email etc.

Please review advise 

Regards

HP Recommended

@yourstuffsucks,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Regards

MrRobot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back,

I will wait for further instructions.

Regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.