Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SnopDawg Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 51 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

officejet 8600 pro plus time zone issue

Has HP figured out how to solve this problem. It's quite obvious that everyone has a problem with the timezone issues on the above mentioned model. I'm still in awe that HP cannot send a signal vial online to set the appropriate time and date. Thanks.

0 Kudos
brightblack Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 52 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My time zone does up date but the offset to UTC registers only as + (plus) hour offset.

As example I am -5 (subtract 5) hours from UTC for local time. The email header reports this as +5 (add 5) hours from UTC as the time zone offset, the error is +10 hours. A high maintenance workaround is to set the printer time clock to 2x ahead of the time zone offset, but...

0 Kudos
CommonGround Top Student
Top Student
2 0 3
Message 53 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP's service here is atrocious -- HP management either does not know or care about this chronic Time Zone problem in its flagship Officejets, including the 8500s and 8600s.  The HP employees responding here seem incompetent -- they repeatedly fail to understand the problem that is being discussed here, for years now.  Specifically, that problem is that HP Officejet printers cannot be configured, as far as anyone knows, to insert both the desired time and the desired time zone in the Date: header of outgoing emails generated by the Officejet's scan-to-email function.

Some of the HP employees think that Date: is at the whim of intermediary mail servers.  However, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email regarding the Date: header...

"Date: The local time and date when the message was written.  Like the From: field, many email clients fill this in automatically when sending. The recipient's client may then display the time in the format and time zone local to him/her."

That is, the sending client program fills in this field with the time local to the sender.  The recipient client program then can use the Date: field for the convenience of the recipient.

The best you can do with these HP Officejets is to configure the printer via its Embedded Web Server as follows:

1.  Go to Settings --> Date & Time.

2.  Set the Current Device Time to whatever time it is in Greenwich,
       England right now.  (GMT is 4 hours later than the eastern U.S.
       during Daylight Savings Time, 5 hours later during Standard Time.)
       E.g., if you're in New York and it is 3 p.m. in May, set it to 7 p.m.

3.  Do not check the "Use the same time zone set on this computer."
       It does not work correctly.

The 3 steps above will ensure that the Officejet's outgoing emails have the correct absolute time in the Date: field.  However, the time and zone components in that Date: field will be relative to Greenwich, not to your location.

Most email client programs handle emails from foreign time zones elegantly enough -- e.g., sort it chronologically amidst emails with local time zones as one would expect in the In box.  However, if you open one of the emails from the Officejet, then client typically reveals its odd time and zone.

Properly functioning email client programs insert the time and zone local to the sender.  But the Officejet printers still do not.  And HP simply does not care.

SnopDawg Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 54 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Totally agree. Their program developers should all be fired. Sad.
0 Kudos
scottinmich Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 55 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just bought this thing and have the same problem. The main reason for the purchase was to scan to email. Now all my emails are going to be off by 4 or 5 hours depending on wether daylight savings is in effect or not. HP can you fix the one line of code in a program that you wrote?  Also, noticed that depending on the operating system and or browser I use I can get the timezone to +0000 of +4000, but not -4000. Apparently negative numbers aren't allowed.

Please fix this so I don't have all my customers telling me my clock is set wrong.

C'mon - do it today.  We,ve been waiting since March of 2012 - over two years.

thanks

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Retired
Retired
8276 378 833
Message 56 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello scottinmich, and welcome to the HP Forums.

I see you are experiencing time zone issues. I would like to try and shed some light on the situation.

When you set up the printer for the first time, it asks you to set the date and time.  It never changes unless manually changed.  When connecting to a server with a different time, it will reflect the time of the server, not the time of the printer.  You can go to your embedded web server, go into settings and go into date and time to ensure the time is correct.

As previously stated by @pcwizard :

"You need to set the date and time, and this will correct the time the printer is showing in the Current Device Time field. If you place a check mark in the box to use the time zone from the computer this doesn't mean it is going to have the same time as the computer it is just using the same time zone which allows the printer to adjust for daylight savings time in your region.   Keep in mind that the date and time are provided using the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (GMT +0) Standards.  The full header date and time is based off of the out going email server location. "

You can also look at updating your firmware: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g_n Firmware.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
0 Kudos
scottinmich Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 57 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firmware is up to date.

Time is displaying correctly on the printer.

I used the embedded web server to set the timezone to the same as my computer.

My servers are all Eastern time zone. The server the printer connects to is in the Eastern time zone.

I use the scan to email feature. The email comes through and it is timestamped four hours ago.

I don't know what else to say.  It doesn't work.

Highlighted
CommonGround Top Student
Top Student
2 0 3
Message 58 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

scottinmich is correct.  Every sentence he states matches my experience.

By contrast, HP's Jamieson and @pcwizard are incorrect.

Jamieson states:
"When connecting to a server with a different time, it will reflect the time of the server, not the time of the printer."

This is not true.  I run an ISP.  Our mail servers are in the same building as the HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus and are set to the local time zone (Eastern U.S.).  However, the Date: field in emails generated by the printer's scan-to-email function DO NOT reflect the time of the server.

Morever, the Date: field SHOULD NOT reflect the time of the server. Instead, the printer should use whatever time zone the user configures -- normally the local time zone from where the email is being sent -- like any normal email client does.

If I live in on the East Coast, but happen to use a mail server in Taiwan, the Date: fields in my emails should not show a Taiwanese time zone.  That would be abnormal.

@pcwizard states:
"Keep in mind that the date and time are provided using the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (GMT +0) Standards."

This is a design flaw.  The user should be able to set it to -0400 or whatever else he/she wants.

@pcwizard states:
"The full header date and time is based off of the out going email server location."

As I said above, the Date: field in fact does not reflect the outgoing mail server location, nor should it.  It should reflect whatever the user wishes, which normally would be the printer's location.

HP's neglect of this problem with the Officejet 8500 and 8600 series printers -- for years despite repeated notice from customers -- suggests that HP is incompetent and/or indifferent.

If anyone at HP (1) cares and (2) has authority fix the problem, please contact me and I will show you it.

josefek Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 59 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's what I've done that has worked so far:

On the Date & Time page set the date and time to the current GMT, not your local time.  Check the box to Use the same time zone on your computer.  Apply it.  The date/time on this page will continue to show GMT, not your local time. 

After doing this I tested by sending myself emails, and the date/time on them were correct.  I have no line with which to text faxing, unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
scottinmich Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 60 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting. 

I no longer have the machine so I can't try it. I'm wondering if the display on the printer shows the correct time. If so, the time on faxes should be correct as well.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation