Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
josefek Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 61 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

officejet 8600 pro plus time zone issue

Just checked.  Nope - time on the display remains GMT.  How stupid that is.

BYDIO Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 62 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Excellent - short sweet to the point and done - Thank you

0 Kudos
Sprink Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 63 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No.  If you set the time in EWS four hours ahead of your current time then the time displayed on the printer control panel would not be right as it would be the same time as displayed in the printer's EWS.  I guess in this case we'll either have to choose between having the correct timestamp in emails sent by the printer at the expense of having the wrong time show up everywhere else or having the correct time show up everywhere except in emails sent by the printer.  This is less than the ideal situation.

ketterling Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 64 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, it's been almost 3 years since this problem was reported.  From what I can tell by reading the past 7 pages of posts, the problem still exists.  I'm having this problem on a new HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g and was looking for a solution.

If drorem or any of the other users from the first few posts reads this, and if you can edit your post, please do so and reference page 7 (there's no need to read posts between page 1 and page 7 -- the problem still exists).

If anyone has an update where this problem is corrected, please post it.  This makes the email feature of the product *almost* useless.  If anyone has this working properly, please let us know how you've done it.

Update:  I tried the last suggestion in this list.  My results were similar to those posts just above this one -- the time on the front of the printer is incorrect, and therefore, the time on the faxes would be incorrect.  I reset the time to correct (make the change in the Web interface and click the "Use the same time zone on this computer" option.  Sending a test email through the Fax to Email wizard shows this line:

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:54:09 +0000

The date should have been this:

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:54:09 -0600

Update 2: On a whim, I tried the same test from Windows 7 and Internet Explorer thinking that there might be a difference -- there wasn't.  Time zone attached to a sent email is still GMT instead of CST.

Update 3: I did a network trace of this problem, and the date being sent to the printer appears to have the incorrect time zone:

<dd:TimeStamp>2015-01-20T12:17:30+06:00</dd:TimeStamp>

This means that the problem is likely in the web interface and not in the printer firmware itself (even if the web interface is kept in the firmware).  I don't [yet] know how to send the correct information to see if it works, but I'm working on that.  I may just try to set my computer to +6 and see if the printer receives a -6.

Update 4: Fortunately, I was able to create the correct PUT command to change the time (by manually editing the data that was sent).  Unfortunately, that had no effect on the problem.  If the time zone is being saved, it's not being used by the piece of code that sends email messages.

ScottAJones Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 65 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, still brain-damaged.  3 years is a long time for HP to not bother to fix this correctly.  And, yes, I'm surprised that more people aren't complaining, but I guess there are 100 or 1000 people who won't go to all the trouble.  My workaround is that I email everything to myself and then look for the email "at the wrong time" in my inbox and then I forward it on, which gives the email the correct timestamp.  It's easier than dealing with the HP front panel interface for naming the file too.

--scott

maverator Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 66 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just adding one more voice to the chorus of people who have this problem. I saw a couple messages from HP people that said "go through these steps and it will be fine", and indicating that it is fine for them. My guess is that none of them have tested it using an e-mail client that reflects the specific offending field, and thus have never actually reproduced the issue. My e-mail client is Outlook, and it has the problem. However if I check my e-mail with Outlook Web Access or Mac Mail, the correct time is shown - which leads me to believe that those clients are showing the received time, not the sent time that the printer is incorrectly setting. Someone mentioned earlier you have to choose between either having the right time showing up in the e-mail or the right time showing up in the printer config (touchscreen). Well it's also a choice of it showing up correctly in some e-mail clients and not the others, which is even less acceptable.

RR-GraphixGuy Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 67 of 67
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's make sure HP understands WHY this is a problem: If the receiving email client sorts the email by the date (and time) it was received, it is very possible the receiver will have a hard time finding it in their inbox. Just earlier today I scanned an important document and had it emailed to our CEO. 15 minutes later... "Hey, did you scan and send that to me? I don't see it."

Turns out he couldn't see it on his computer email client (which registered the time the email was SENT) but he did see it on his smartphone client (which must have been registereing the time it was RECEIVED). I helped him on his computer and we found the email three quarters of the way down the list with other email that came 6 HOURS EARLIER. 

I cannot expect our customers, coworkers, and colleagues to all assume they have to look for scanned documents 6 to 7 hours earlier (we are US Mountain Time, either UTC-6:00 or -7:00 depending on DST) in their email boxes.

For now I will set the clock to UTC... Although I may need to change it again after we fall back off DST... I do have an idea for another workaround, but its not the best solution.

We aren't asking for anything fancy... Even if we had the ability to choose the time zone from a simple drop down, and then put a check mark for DST, I'm sure everyone here would be happy with that. 

:manfrustrated:

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation