Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and received no help from the "help desk".  They tried all sorts of fixes but to no avail and concluded I have a hardware problem....duh.  Because I'm out of warranty they ended up offering me a discount on a new machine but their discounted price is 25% more than Staples.  Who would do this.  I can't recommend hp to anyone!

HP Recommended

Here goes - I am going to try and use their "chat" since that's free.  I will post how that goes.

PS - I have tried everything I read here without resolution.  The 8500 is still unusable.  My problems include the clicking noise, the paper jam errors, and the power off warning.  Also, the #-3 reset did not resolve anything.  All firmware updates were ineffective.

PPS - On the phone, besides my printer being out of warranty after 7 months of use, they have no solution.  I assume that means the solution is to buy another one.

All for now.

HP Recommended

Needless to say, chat is awesome. (sarcasm)

After getting through our firewall, and countless pop-up issues, I was greeted with a message that my browser is not supported.  That would be Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.  Not supported.  Unbelievable.

Well, I sent an email instead - - - and again, I will post the progress of that effort.

HP Recommended

So far, I have received 2 emails from hp on this problem.  The first was an email suggesting all the same things that I have already been through - I don't know that they read (or possibly) understood? my attempt to say all the things I have tried (in 250 characters or less).  That email was last night.  So, today, I received an email following up that they hadn't heard from me.  Very professional IMO, but no additional information (I hadn't responded yet).

I have replied and will see what they send back.

HP Recommended

hp came to my rescue and provided a solution to get me a replacement printer at a reasonable charge.

HP Recommended

I too have wasted so much time on this.  I have the same issue as everyone else.  I feel like throwing it out my window onto the driveway 20' below, I think that's the only way I'll get some satisfaction.  I did chat today with HP and tried everything.  What a piece of .....   I use this for my work!!!!!!!  The HP printer on our home computer is also not working, some kind of issue with not seeing the ink cartridge.  They told me I could buy an upgraded model for $295,  HA!  I won't buy any HP products including their computers.  They are screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Same problem. Phantom jam message and clicking. Feed roller fails to

descend. By now I assume HP knows they have a hardware issue here.

I went out and bought a cheaper replacement printer today so my son could 

do his homework. HP support was no help. I bought the printer 10 months 

ago and really liked it - enough to buy a second one for my father, but this is

very disappointing. My usage was very light - still on the original ink cartridges.

It started with feeding problems, sometimes grabbing multiple sheets. 

Does anyone know a site that might describe how to disassemble the printer

and try to fix this issue? Better than just tossing it. Are there replacement parts?

I don't care about the warranty anymore.

HP Recommended

My husband tried all suggested on this forum.. then he decided to try a print alignment... and it worked!!!  He said the printer was trying to finish its previous task so when it thinks there is a paper jam, it is the default response to there being a gap in the information the software is giving the hardware and the alignment makes it reset and start over from the beginning.  Not sure it works for everything, but thought we'd let anyone else know on here to try the print alignment!

Good luck!!

😄

HP Recommended

I had the same problem - my HP 8500 lasted just over a year, and waited 3 weeks AFTER my warranty expired to give me the "paper jam" error.  I get a clicking sound and then the paper jam error, but there's no paper in the machine.  Called in to HP, they said there's nothing they can do because it's a hardware problem and my printer is no longer under warranty.  I ended up just purchasing a new printer and using the $50 trade-in rebate to make myself feel better about it... My advice is to get at least a 2-year warranty on any HP printer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  My printer is just a month out of warranty.  Go figure.  The error I get says the cartridge cradle can not move and also it says there is a paper jam.  NO jam.  This happens at the end of a print job.  The printer works all thru the print job but when the final page is printed, it goes to the error message.  The only way to resolve it is to turn the printer off.  Then when turning it back on, it makes a different bang/clunk sound when it begins the cleaning/start-up procedure.  I called HP.  Since I am out of warranty they would be happy to take my money ($35 up to $65) to diagnose my problem.  Sure glad I didn't waste my money as they have no idea how to fix this problem according to all the messages here on the support forum.

I think if I have to buy another printer........I will NOT buy HP again.  This is the 3rd printer and they all bite the dust right after going out of warranty.  I should have bought a warranty extension.  Live and learn!  No more HP for me! 

Fed up!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.