Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi NDiaz,

With this printer, what you are describing is not an issue, it is an expected behaviour.  Printer with printheads integrated into the printer have to use some ink in order to ensure the printheads remain in working condition.  What that means is that the printer is going to use some ink of every color.  If you want a printer that is soley using Black ink, than  you would be looking at single Monochrome Laserjets, or economical ink printer that have ganged ink and printheads like Kyle explained above. 

HP Recommended

u should buy a LASER instead of complaining. Each different serie has their own purpose and target market. it's NOT the HP'S fault, I should say, it's desinged for hosehold who print HIGH quality doc w/ few colours whereas the Mono Laser is for Black only printing. Unless u admit haven't  printed colour at all, u shouldn't complain it. That will be painful if no colour available when u really need it. In another word, better to have than not! So good luck on ur next LASER!

HP Recommended

@Kyle_W wrote:

I would recommend that we download the driver through Apple Software Update.

Before we do that, we want to uninstall any incompatible software you may have installed on your computer by running the HP Uninstaller located under Applications > HP or the Hewlett-Packard folder.

After you do that, we will want to download the drivers. The drivers for your product are available through Apple Software Update.

Before you do anything, temporarily unplug the printer's USB cord from either the printer or the computer. Next, check for any available HP Update's by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update.

If any update could not be retrieved, download the full HP Printer Drivers v.2.14 from Apple:

HP Printer Drivers v.2.14 for OS X

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL907/en_US/HPPrinterDrivers2.14.dmg

Once you have completed the installation you will want to plug your printer back in. After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. Select it. If underneath the printer you see "Use:”.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. Click Add down in the bottom right hand corner.

If you followed all of those steps, your printer should now be installed fully and you should have the option to chose grayscale. 

If not, let me know what happened and I will see what we can do from there.

Best of luck,

Kyle

If this is the function of the printer, that is fine.  But the packaging needs to state the fact that the printer will not print if any other cartridge is empty.  I have wasted so much money on replacing the ink alone.  I didn't find this out until after the return period was up and there was nothing I could do about it.

HP Recommended

NirmalS,

Thanks for the feedback.  I will pass it along.

MB

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the sugestions, atleast the ones that tried to help. 

HP Recommended

Just bought HP6700 Premium spent whole day trying to work Airprint. Then read various web blogs and its clear that just about everyone has a problem, so cant use with Ipad or Iphone. It worked once on Ipad and tried to on Iphone but nothing printed. 

It is working perfectly with my PC.

Have tried to find how to set Draft ( either B&W only or B/W & col ) as Default.  I cant see any reference within the Printer "drop downs" to "Default"

Any help appreciated

HP Recommended

I have a HP6700 Premium. The timing wasting of having to select Black Ink only, Draft, Greyscale everytime I want to run off an email or similar low quality, which is most of the time is enough to want my old Office jet back.  I cannot see any link to creating defaults or preferences. What does "custom" refer to as when clicked it greys out all the other settings eg High Quality, Draft etc. Thanks MH

HP Recommended

@caca125 and the rest of HP - Are you kidding? I've been a loyal HP customer for 20 years and anything previous to 6700 would last me SEVERAL months on a black and tri color cartridge. I've NEVER retired a printer because of faulty print heads. The allure of separate cartridges for the separate inks would make one think that this (limited, guzzler) printer would hold out even longer. Nah. It's a story of myth, magic and shadows. Don't lecture me on integrated print heads and other nonsense. I'll pay between double and triple the printer price on inks in a year. I understand what you're trying to say as to how it works. However, it's marketed quite differently on the cardboard box it's shipped in. I'm a home user and not a printing business. My last HP purchase.

HP Recommended
Yes like I said be4, all u need is a tri cl one. The 6700 and 8600 is targeted 4 business or home office who print both b/w and cl @ volume size, and who cares about more on speed vs ink cost. Totally different market u're in. Again, it's not the printer's fault, it's just the wrong segment u have entered.
HP Recommended

Ok. But in the manual it states that you can still print with either a) one empty ink cartridge or b) empty black cartridge. Oh, well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.