Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

printer not showing in devices + extra copies showing in printer list

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Attempting to re-install Hp Officejet Pro 8600 (on windows 7) as upon first install it did not show up in devices/printers.

The odd thing is when choosing a printer for a pdf or doc then there are about 5 copies of the the printer showing up. These cannot be clicked on so cannot be removed as far as I can tell.

So in a nutshell my two probs are -

1. printer installs fine but just wont show up in devices/printers

2. multiple copies show up in document print lists and its a lucky dip to see which works on the day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

(i did do a forum search for printer/devices and the printer type but had no luck)

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 10
4,893 4,841 576 806
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Try to STOP and RESTART the printer spooler
1. Click START Menu
2. RIGHT CLICK on COMPUTER
3. Choose MANAGE
4. Then choose SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS
5. Click on SERVICES
6. Scroll down to Print Spooler. Stop it and then Restart it

Another uninstall you can perform is in the device manager.
Follow those same steps above, AFTER CLICKING MANAGE, instead of choosing SERVICES and APPLICATIONS, choose DEVICE MANAGER
1. Then select VIEW at the top.
2. Choose SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES
3. Go down to Printers, Images and Devices, and see if they are 8600 printers in the folder. If so, RIGHT CLICK, and UNINSTALL all of them. Then go and re-install the printer.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

G'day Rudy,

Thanks for the reply.

I ran through both of those steps.

Round 1 didnt change anything sadly.

Round 2 let me uninstall the printer but upon restart the same list of printers is still visible in word/pdf reader etc.

Any other ideas good sir?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,893 4,841 576 806
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You will have to do a L3 or L4 uninstall.
http://goo.gl/bxjzY

If you have an HP COMPUTER, DO NOT perform the L4, it WILL WIPE OUT ALL of the computer features also. If you have any other computer, you can perform the L4 uninstall.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tried both uninstalls to no avail...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From the sounds of it you more than likely are showing your hidden folders and devices. These are likely grayed out and cannot be altered. I want you to run through teh steps below and see what that does (they could be linking to your temp folder).

Alright, let's try to perform a complete and clean uninstallation and reinstallation. First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it. Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Then follow this link to download the full feature software and drivers for the printer: 

Install that and let me know the result, but if that does not work then those are related to registry files which will require a bit of finesse in removing. 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello chap...i gave all that you said a go and they are still showing up sadly. it appears its time for finesse :Crying:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, I am going to PM you with some instructions that I will need you to follow very closely. If you have any questions about the steps, please, message me before continuing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was working good this morning, now not listed on printer setup

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you give me more information on the issue you are having as well as the printer? What OS are you using? 

Let me know and I will get right back with you! 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you had a wonderful weekend! 

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation