cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mavrilon
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

printer will not recognize non HP ink cartridges.what can I do to get printer to work

HP Recommended

I purchased some generic nonHP ink cartridges for my Deskjet 2512 printer. Printer refuses to recognize them. Is there a way to get the printer to accept these these cartridges ? Or do I have to buy official HP ink ?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,410 90,287 11,605 24,898
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your question is also an answer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Mavrilon
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your responce leads me to believe you did not the understand the point of my question.. I do not want to, if I can at all avoid it, shell out all that extra money to the money grubbing jerks at HP just to use my own HP printer.

I would appreciate hearing responces from someone who does understand the point of my question and has some useful insights to offer.

God Bless you .

Ciara_B
Level 11
8,714 7,779 283 653
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mavrilon

It could be that the generics are faulty, so you could try going back to the store. Either that or switch to originals, as typically the print quality & reliability is better.

FYI, some links that may be of interest...

Buyers Lab

http://www.buyerslab.com/products/samples/HP-Inkjet-Cartridges-vs-Refilled-Cartridges.pdf

Quality Logic

http://www.qualitylogic.com/2009HPinktest.pdf

Original HP ink - the art & science of printing

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2012/ppsinfluencersummit2012/Original_HP_Ink.pdf

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
Melohawk
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

About 5 yrs ago, during an HP update, a line of scipt came through that told the printer to detect any refurbished or refilled cartridges and refuse to print. Now I believe that is a staple within the drivers themselves. You can go into the settings for the printer and look for an advanced setting that allows you to choose whether or not you want it to recognize an already "used" cartridge from another computer (in other words, you can choose to lock your printer and prevent it from dealing with any pre-used cartridges). You can unlock it and try to see if it will allow it to use the refilled/refurbished cartridges however, I've not had any succes in doing so. Each printer seems to be it's own entity. I will say that I'm experiencing the same problem others have had that after about a year, the black ink stops printing even with a BRAND NEW HP cartridge. All these printers are rip-offs.

0 Kudos
vchoe69
4 4 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please read this link to a testing lab report about HP OEM versus GENERIC HP:

http://www.buyerslab.com/products/samples/HP-Inkjet-Cartridges-vs-Refilled-Cartridges.pdf

Appearently, after 2014, HP drivers tests for "reinstalled" and "generic".  I just tried a generic set right after the setp set was emptied.  The 1st set went through ok.  2 months later, I tried installing a second set of generic and my HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 refused to print.

I am switching to HP ink cartridges by mail.

Regards

Victor

0 Kudos
Jack_of_All
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mavrilon, I agree with you. It cost more than the value of a new Printer which includes ink to replace all the cartridges. If so many other manufacturers can provide exact replicas for a fraction of the price we should be able to use it. HP can't handle competition but if Chevy made a car that only ran on gas supplied by Chevy they would not sell cars. My Money, My Printer, My Choice where to buy. Ink is not a proprietary invention of HP. Because of their arrogance, landfills will be filled with HP printer because it's cheaper to buy new than buy ink and they do not make more money that way.

Hopefully someone with enough technical expertise will post here on how to hack the firmware to fix this issue instead of ridiculing you for not wanting to get robbed and taken advantage of by paying 3-4x the price that many other suppliers can produce the same product. If they can do it and make profit then HP can do it. They would get more businsess and respect by powering their price and then the competition would have less reason to mimic their products. Perhaps they do not have an economic analyst on staff.

You are so right about it being "YOUR PRINTER". I think manufacturers like to think that they can get your money and still call it "THEIR PROPERTY". Perhaps if they gave away printers free with ink purchase then it would be viewed differently.

Keep up the fight for "free enterprise".

0 Kudos
Jack_of_All
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link below provided by HP offers firmware updates to remove the Non-HP check feature to allow the use of 3rd party ink. Check the list for your printer and download the appropriate firmware update. According to this page, only the listed printers have this issue and they have provided an update for them all.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docum...

0 Kudos
smithgill
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am going to buy another brand of printer.  HP can go forth and multiply. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation