Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

hp officejet 6699 won't print - gives message "printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed."

I have unplugged as instructed and that did not work. 

I replaced all of the cartridges and that did not work. 

It's over a year out of warranty and I don't know where to take it. 

I didn't want to have to buy a new one just yet.  Is approx 2 years the life of an all-in-one now??   Can anyone tell me what to try?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Does it look as though the printhead has moved or is not seated correctly in the printer? Try gently moving it and ensure it is seated uniformally.

There is a firmware update for your unit which may help. You can find it here

Many Thanks,

Francheska

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi pip3,

Can you remember what you were doing when the error occured? Was there a specific event that triggered the message? Did you unplug the printer while it was switched on to reset it (documented here)?

Please let me know if you resolve your issue, otherwise I will try to help you troubleshoot further.

Many Thanks,

Francheska

HP Recommended
Thx Francheska. I was trying to print a document from my computer as I do every day and got above msg. Now I can't print anything. Keep getting same msg. Thx for working with me.
HP Recommended

Does it look as though the printhead has moved or is not seated correctly in the printer? Try gently moving it and ensure it is seated uniformally.

There is a firmware update for your unit which may help. You can find it here

Many Thanks,

Francheska

HP Recommended

Having replaced my printer cartridges I have now got the above message which will not disappear. I have tried the unplugging and that didn't help.  I have however removed the black cartridge and put it back in again - a few times - and each time the message will disappear and the proper screen will appear but only for a few seconds before the message reappears so I'm thinking it is the cartridge????  The cartridges are all genuine HP and only bought recently - I can't believe that it could just suddenly pack up just after I spent a fortune on new cartridges.....   HELP please..

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm also getting this error message on an OfficeJet 7612. I tried resetting the printer (Full reset, OOB reset), but that didn't help. I followed some of the other suggestions that include removing the ink cartridges and cleaning the electical contacts.

Are there instructions somewhere on how to dismantle the printhead?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Danni - sorry, only just found out that you posted a message cos I gave up on the forum.  Tried everything and gave up in the end.  It makes me so cross because HP make such a lot of money out of this sort of thing.  I spent £40 on new ink cartridges which I installed and only then did my printer pack in.  So my new printer has cost me over £100!  I was told by the blokes in Currys that I was lucky my printer lasted as long as it did (5 years - although not constant usage, in fact very little).  Seems that once the printer head pack in that's it - its such a waste!!! Pleases take note HP when you read this that disposable items are not environmentally friendly. 

@DannyBridi wrote:

Hi,

I'm also getting this error message on an OfficeJet 7612. I tried resetting the printer (Full reset, OOB reset), but that didn't help. I followed some of the other suggestions that include removing the ink cartridges and cleaning the electical contacts.

Are there instructions somewhere on how to dismantle the printhead?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.