Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My new printer will only print checks if a full sheet of checks (3) is inserted into the print tray.  It will not print a single check or a partial page of only 2 checks.  My previous HP printer had no difficulty printing single checks or partial pages of 2 checks.  I'm hoping there is a fix for this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Don-agent

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

I understand you have trouble printing cheques at your custom preference,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Is this the first time you are printing cheques on this particular printer?

Every printer has its pros and cons, did you check if this printer supports custom sizes?

Also to ensure we are on the same page, you are referring to cheques or is it "checks"? (not to sound rude but that's kind of important considering the steps will be based on your description). 😉

Is this related to printing via Quickbooks or does the issue persists on other applications as well?

While you respond to that, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

And here's the link to download the driver for the alternate printer to resolve compatibility issues with the Officejet Pro 8740: Click here to download drivers for HP Deskjet 6980 printer.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is the 1st time that I have had to print checks.  The checks (not cheques) are on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet & have 3 on each page.  This is related to printing via Quickbooks.  All my previous HP printers have been able to print partial sheets of 1 or 2 checks.

HP Recommended

@Don-agent

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

It looks like you have two options, as this could be either a driver or an application issue, you could, delete the printer drivers from root level and reinstall the updated drivers from the HP website,

Using the below steps: 

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Update the drivers from the official hp website for software and drivers: Click here

If the issue persists, I recommend you Contact HP if you are able to print everything else but the checks.

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful,  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,  

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.