Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4635
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I installed a new ink cartridge but still get an error message that the ink cartridge must be changed.  I've tried three different cartridges and get the same message for each.  I've tried rebooting the printer as well but no luck.  ANy suggestions appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Hershey2

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One Printer and post installing a new ink cartridge, the printer says that the cartridge must be replaced. So far you have tried three different cartridges and the same error appears. Restarting the printer was of no help. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I believe you're using original HP ink cartridges. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did any updates happen for the printer recently?
  • Was there a paper jam or any other issue with the printer recently?
  • Did you relocate to another country and are installing the cartridges purchased from there?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please perform the steps as described in detail from this link
NOTE: Under "Solution three: Clean the electrical contacts", please clean the electrical contacts in the cartridge slots.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reply. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

i followed your instructions but no change in the error message.

how do i clean the electrical contacts?

thx

HP Recommended

@Hershey2

You're welcome. 🙂

You may clean the electrical contacts on the cartridges and also inside the cartridge slots as shown below:

• Disconnect the USB cable, if the printer is connected to your computer with a USB connection.

• To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

• Pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure: Remove the cartridge

Image: Remove the cartridge.

• Lift the lid

• Gently push the lid back

• Pull up on the cartridge

NOTE: Do not remove both cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each cartridge separately. Do not leave a cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

• Hold the cartridge by its sides.

Image: Hold the cartridge by its sides.

• Inspect the cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup. NOTE: Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzles

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.

• Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

• Clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge, and then allow the cartridge to dry for about 10 minutes.

Figure : Clean the contacts

Image: Clean the contacts.

• Copper-colored contacts

• Ink nozzles (do not clean)

To clean the electrical contacts of the cartridge slots, please follow the below steps:

• Lightly moisten another foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

• Use the swab or cloth to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer in the cartridge slots.

Figure : The electrical contacts in the cartridge slots

Image: The electrical contacts in the cartridge slots.

• Allow the carriage contacts to dry for about 10 minutes.

• Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, slide the cartridge into the empty slot, and then close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge in place.

All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.