cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alanrtodd
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

printing shortcut

HP Recommended
officejet pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to create a printing shortcut that included fast/economical/duplex/black. It saves the fast/economical/duplex but not the black. When I use this shortcut it prints in color. How do I set up the shortcut I want to include black?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Drakster
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 306 604
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @alanrtodd,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to save print settings for your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution' if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I see how frustrating this would be for you and that your computer is not keeping the shortcut setting that you trying to save. If you're trying to edit a preset which has a lock icon on it, you will not be able to change those settings.

I would create a new shortcut and save the settings which you desire. 

Please try the steps within these guides (use as a guideline): 

This document is for HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8615, 8620, 8625, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One printers.

If there are settings that you frequently use for printing, you might want to make them the default print settings so they are already set when you open the Print dialog box from within your software program.
To change the default print settings
  1. Do one of the following to open the printer software:
    • Double-click the printer icon on your desktop.
    • Windows 8.1: Click the down arrow in lower left corner of the Start screen, select the printer name.
    • Windows 8: Right-click an empty area on the Start screen, click All Apps on the app bar, select the printer name.
    • Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP: From the computer desktop, click Start, select All Programs, click HP, click the folder for your printer, and then click the printer name.
  2. Click Set Preferences to open the Printing Preferences dialog box.
  3. Make changes to the print settings, click Apply, and then click OK.

How to print in color, black ink only, or grayscale

Depending on your print job, print in color, black ink only, or grayscale. The following color options might be available for your printer:
  • Color: Print using color ink.
  • Black & White: Print with multiple shades of gray (grayscale). This setting still uses some color ink.
  • High-Quality Grayscale: Print with multiple shades of gray. Increases the dots-per-inch (dpi) on the page, allowing for more detailed photos and sharper text.
  • Black Ink Only: Print with black ink only (no color ink is used in printouts). This setting is best used when printing text.
  1. On your computer, open the document or photo you want to print, click File, and then click Print.
  2. From the print dialog window, click Properties.
     NOTE: Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.
  3. Select the Paper/Quality tab.
    Figure : Paper/Quality tab
    Image: Paper/Quality tab
  4. Select either Black & White or Color, or to print with black ink only or in high-quality grayscale, skip to step 5.
    If you selected Black & White or Color, click OK, and then click Print.
  5. To print with black ink only or in high-quality grayscale, click Advanced.
    The Advanced Options dialog window opens.
    Figure : The Advanced Options dialog window opens
    Image: The Advanced Dialog window opens
  6. Click Print in Grayscale, click the down arrow, select High-Quality Grayscale or Black Ink Only, and then click OK.
  7. Click OK, and then click Print.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Suzy4
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same printer and the same problem.  I've done everything you mentioned in your reply, but it doesn't work.  For some reason, it will not save the B&W or color settings in a user-created shortcut.  My previous HP printers have all saved shortcuts correctly.  Seems like there might be a glitch in it. 

I'm using Windows 10 ver. 1607, Firefox 49.0.2. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
lbs45
Level 1
5 4 0 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This does not work.  Somehow in the past I have been able to create a custom shortcut by entering in the print pop-up the settings I want, then seeing "Save as" come up in bold and clickably in the shortcuts box.  I cannot get this option to show.  Very frustrating.   HP should make it easier than this.

0 Kudos
lbs45
Level 1
5 4 0 3
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just now FIGURED OUT HOW TO CREATE A NEW PRINTING SHORTCUT, almost by dumb luck and good guessing!  I use Windows 7 with an HP Officejtet Pro 8620.

1. Go to Control Panel.

2. Click on "Devices and Printers".

3. On the chosen printer, RIGHT click.  On the drop-down menu, click "Create shortcut". (This puts a shortcut to the printer on your desktop.

4 Click on the now-created desktop shortcut icon.

5. A new page with about 4 choices will pop up.  One is "Set preferences".

6. Click on it and the familiar "Printing shortcuts" pop-up box will come up.

7. Use the top tabs to enter your choices, such at paper orientation, one- or two-sided, print quality, and black or color. 

8. Finally, click the "Printing shortcuts" tab, and at the bottom there should be a new box for you to enter the name of your new shortcut.  HOORAY!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation