Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (1,273 Views)

pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000

Product Name: HP Officejet Pro 8620
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

The error/ fail 31000 persists with rare exceptions when attempting to print PDF files after having created them on my new HP Pro 8620 - sometimes picking and choosing what PDF files it will print, but mostly NOT. When initially installing the new all in one printer wirelessly everything seemed to work good. After hooking up the USB plug from the printer to my Mac 10.6.8 is when the PDF issue seemed to arise, but that makes no sense to me. Many times have done the unplugging of the printer, rebooting the Mac, and deleting the HP 8620 icons in the Print/Fax section and reinstalling them to no avail. A tech helped me install the latest software for the new printer and my mac - no good. Updated the PDF reader as well - no good.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 3 (1,243 Views)

Re: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000

Hi @BasicTrons 

From what I can find, the error pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000 is not an HP issue.

I suggest performing a Google search. I tried and here are a few of the results I found. You might find something helpful here, or at least learn what is causing the issue thus which support forum to reach out to.

can't print acrobat pdfs | Adobe Community

Printing: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number ..

Error: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number

You could try some of the basic steps I usually recommend that resolves many issues, but I do not know if it will resolve the issue or not. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try;

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.
Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
    Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.
    Now when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose, do not select the AirPrint driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner  
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can the printer driver 

I suggest the steps above because from what I have read, it appears the issue might be related to the Apple CUPS system. CUPS consists of a print spooler and scheduler, a filter system that converts the print data to a format that the printer will understand, and a backend system that sends this data to the print device. CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) as the basis for managing print jobs and queues. - Source

I hope this helps.

I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (1,235 Views)

Re: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000

I had tried those items 'sunshine'; really appreciate your post. It turns out, when clicking print when the options window pops up when you next hit the print button: an earlier post had advised me to click the 'advance' button, and then click the, "print as image", button. After that I was printing all my pdf's without issue. Great! But then I  learned something better from some Philippian tech's. Those of us who use the Macbook Pro ought to be happy with the built in software we have like, "Preview", for example.

A long time Windows user, I didn't bother to learn the purpsoe of Preview on my Mac. Turns out 'Preview' is more acceptable to my Macbook 10.6.8 than the later Adobe softwares. That's what I was told; and it seems to make sense. As it turned out, 'Preview' prints all of my scanned PDF's without issue and darker and clearer than the Adobe print outs when using "print as image". Had I tried printing my pdf's with 'Preview', [on the new HP 8620 I just bought], I wouldn't have spent all that time tassling with Adobe's 30000 failure code - that lead me to think my new printer was the problem. I've used Adobe for some time and think its a great product, but I'm just finding out so is 'Preview' on the Macbook Pro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation