Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
-G- Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (14,580 Views)

"An error occurred communicating with the scanning device..."

[ Edited ]

I got a new computer (XP Pro, SP3) and now get the following error when trying to scan via the HP Director on my Scanjet 5500c:

"An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connect property and try again"

It's the error in "figure 2" on this old, useless troubleshooting page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01275876

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling/ restarting the system etc; doesn't help.  From reading other forums it seems that Windows SP2 might be the problem. I have SP3 so that would not help matters. I really don't want to roll back to SP1.  I can print using the scanner wizzard but the HP software lets me print multiple document pages to a single PDF -- the functionality I need back!

If anyone has an answer to this I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Gary

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 6 (14,558 Views)

Re: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device..."

try to unintall again the software of the printer from add/remove programs and also check if there is an old version of hp software that was installed then uninstall them also

- insert the CD of youre printer and browse the files inside the CD.Open the UTIL folder and inside UTIL there is a folder which is CCC open it also.

- double click on the UNINSTALL_L1.bat then the DOS window will open that would ask you to press enter to contunue the uninstall then press enter. After the its done try to click the box that says restart later then click finish

- after doing that try to do same with UNINSTALL_L2 and UNINSTALL_L3, do not restart the computer

- go to c:\windows\ and rename the TWAIN_32 to TWAIN_32OLD

- go to C\program files\HP then try to delete the Digital Imaging folfer. If you cannot delete the folder try to open the folder and delete each files or folders.

- restart you computer and try reinstalling the software.

- let me know if you still have the same problem.

-G- Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (14,556 Views)

Raven,

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply...I really appreciate it :)

I don't have the CD anylonger and downloaded the drivers/softwre from the HP website http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=77375&lang=en  Specifically, I downloded the software called "Driver"  (the HP photo and imaging 2.0 software) and "Update" (a critical update) so the HP Director would launch which it wasn't doing.

Is there a way to modify your fix so I can do it with the downloaded software?  Really I only want to be able to print multiple docs to a single PDF file. If you know a work around to regain this functionality, that would be just as good.

I appreciate your help!

Gary 

Intern
Message 4 of 6 (14,497 Views)

You mean trying to scan a multiple documents to a single PDF file?

- actually you can. Try to open up HP Director then go to settings and select scan document ssettings or scan picture settings. From there try to choose the scan to multiple pages into a single file options.

-G- Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (14,489 Views)

Hey Raven,

I can't use the HP Director, as above, but would be just as happy to learn another way to scan multiple docs into a single PDF.   It's for that reason that I want to use the HP Director.   Is there a way to apply your fix without the CD or do you happen to know a work-around for scanning docs inot a PDF??

Thanks,

Gary

Honor Student
Message 6 of 6 (10,113 Views)

For me, I just disconnected and reconnected the USB that connected my printer/scanner to my computer...worked for me. Might work for you...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation