Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 14 (19,463 Views)

"An unexpected internal error has occurred" when trying to scan to PDF

[ Edited ]

Hi,

i have the HP Officejet J6413 All-in-One Printer. it is connected to my network using wireless.

i'm trying to scan to PDF or PDF-Searchable but i get this error:

"An unexpected internal error has occurred. Click OK to close the program, and try one of the following:

-Restart the program.

-Restart the PC and then try again.

-Reinstall the Photo&Imaging Software and try again.

8, [ (6, 16, -2147221488)] "

i get this error on all of my 3 pc's (Vista, Xp home, Xp pro)

i already tried to uninstall and reinstall the all software.

i even used the "HP Officejet Software and Driver Removal Utility" , i ran all 4 stages.

a month ago it worked with the vista and with the Xp pro pc's, and now it doesn't.

on my third pc i never installed the hp software. only yesterday i did, just to test the scan to PDF. it didn't work, same error.

when i try to scan to Word or to *.rtf file or to *.Jpg, then i have no problem (on all the pc's).

the error only occur when scanning to PDF or PDF-Searchable.

what could be the problem?

is it the printer itself that causing that error?

btw, how can i know if the printer driver is 10.0.0 or 10.0.1 ?

Hope someone can help... Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Erez on 07-05-2009 01:15 PM
0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 14 (19,441 Views)

Re: "An unexpected internal error has occurred" when trying to scan to PDF

[ Edited ]

i talked to hp support today and they told me to change the language in the "regional and language options" to English(united states), it was set to Hebrew.

after doing this the scan to PDF works in the Xp pro machine and also in the Vista Laptop.

really strange, because a month ago it worked when the language in the "regional and language options" was set to Hebrew (on both machines).

can this change of the language to English in the "regional and language options"could cause any problems in other applications? 

I noticed another thing. in the HP solution Center under "start an activity" there is an option "Convert to Text".

when i click on it i get the following message:

"An unsupported operation was attempted"

why i can't launch it?

Message Edited by Erez on 07-06-2009 07:54 AM
Top Student
Message 3 of 14 (18,923 Views)

I have a solution to the "internal error" that occurs when scanning documents to a PDF.  It worked for me and might work on other HP printers and software.  I have a HP1315 which I bought in 2006.  I was also given the following three options: to restart the program, restart the PC, and reinstall the software.  I tried all three and none of that worked.  It was working a few days prior to failing so I tried to remember what I could have changed that might have caused the problem. Finally, I remembered that I changed the scan document settings from a resolution of 300 dpi to 150 dpi.  So I tried changing it back to 300 dpi and it worked.  It also works for 200 dpi but fails always at 150 dpi or below when scanning a document to save as a PDF. 

I hope this helps and I hope that HP makes a note of this problem and issues a fix for it. Good Luck.  09/28/2009
Honor Student
Message 4 of 14 (18,757 Views)

Your solution did not work for me. I wonder if this problem is due to a defective OCR software?
Honor Student
Message 5 of 14 (18,746 Views)

A solution that finally worked was to make sure that English was selected as the language in the scan settings.
Top Student
Message 6 of 14 (18,648 Views)

After reading all the notes on the "internal error", none of the suggested solutions work for my Photosmart C5180.  Resolution is set at 300 dpi and language to English (these are default settings)--same error message is returned.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled all software.  Upgraded to Adobe 9.2.  Nothing solves the problem.  It is curious to me that all of the messages on this subject began in late September 2009.   October 16, 2009

Student
Message 7 of 14 (18,104 Views)

Hi there,

I had the same kind of problem using my HP Solution Center. When trying to scan a document or picture, the following error came up:

"Er is een onverwachte interne fout opgetreden" (Dutch). In English, it would be something like "An unexpected internal error has occured".

After this dialog box with the error message, 3 options were given. None of them helped.

Reinstalling the software? Did not help. Great job HP!

What will help, is to do this:

1) Completely uninstall all HP software.

2) Completely delete "C:\Program Files\HP" and/or "C:\Program Files\Hewlett Packard".

3) Go to the registry using Win-R, regedit.exe

4) Completely delete "HKLM\Software\Hewlett Packard".

5) Completely delete "HKCU\Software\Hewlett Packard".

6) Restart your computer.

7) Disconnect from internet (just in case...)

8) Run the original installation CD from HP, but answer --NO-- to automatic updates.

9) Wait for the installation to finish and voila, your Solution Center is working again!

I took the time to post this message, because it really annoyed me. What is worse, HP isn't offering a solution anywhere. Lots of patches to find for internal errors during scanning, but none of them helped for me!

Hopefully the steps described above will also solve your problem. One remark however: this will delete all of your HP installed software, so if you have more software or products installed from HP, you should remove them all and install them again afterwards. Oh... and of course you won't have the latest version of HP Solution Center installed. But that didn't work, so why bother!

Cheers,

Marcel

Student
Message 8 of 14 (17,961 Views)

I've been having the same problem.  I have discovered that the 'Scan to' drop down menu in the Solution Center is empty.  Not surprisingly, HP's only solution is to completely uninstall and reinstall the program.  I've done that more than a dozen times since this issue popped up, and HP's solution doesn't work.

Now, everything was functioning fine until I updated Norton Utilities.  I suspected the problem was a registry entry or two that isn't being deleted when I uninstalled and reinstalled.  SO...does anyone think that Marcel_NI's solution might work.  It makes sense to me.  The reason I say it makes sense is because when I bought my current printer, PSC1010, upgrading from a previous HP printer (in Windows XP SP2), the installation issues I had at that time were because HP's uninstall utility didn't clear out all the registry entries, and when I tried to install this printer, it woldn't install untill all the old entries were cleaned out.  Once that was done, the problems were solved.  HP had a utility at that time tht accomplished that.

The original sofware that came with my printer doesn't work in Vista, so I downloaded AIO_CDB_Full_Non-Network_enu_NB from the HP website, and it's been working fine...until now.

Student
Message 9 of 14 (17,383 Views)

Re: i have problama

when i scan in ( pdf ) tyb this message appear : An internal error occurred while processing the document. Click OK to close the program, and then try one of the following: - Restart the program. - Restart the PC and then try again. - Reinstall the Photo & Imaging Software and try again i want to sove this prplama p/z
CW3 Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 10 of 14 (17,359 Views)

Here is what worked for me.

Completely uninstall the printer software.

Download msicuu2.exe from Microsoft.com and install it on your desktop.

This program is called Windows Installer Cleanup .

Open this program.

At the top of the list you should see (All Users) 32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer [6.1.1]

Highlight it and click 'remove'.

Reboot your computer.

Reinstall the printer software.

Should solve the problem.

One issue with HP printers is when you remove one and try to install another, or uninstall and reinstall a current one, the uninstall doesn't remove the 32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer [6.1.1], thus preventing a complete install of a new HP printer or reinstall of your current one, which causes the problem you encountered, among others.  This has to be removed separatly, which is something no HP Tech Support rep seems to know.  Their only act is to simply tell you to unstall and reinstall, but without removing this one component, you'll have nothing but problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation