Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JReedG Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

"Failed to open a session on the device" HP 8500a 909n

I've just recently started experiencing a problem initiating a scan from my Mac (10.8.3). I get a "failed to open session on the device" message.

I am connected via ethernet, have also tried via USB with the same results. I can print without issues and I can manually scan at the device. Just cannot seem to get it to connect to my Mac.

I've tried resetting the router without success, I've repaired permissions as well. No luck. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Intern Intern
Intern
28 1 3
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Try Reset printing system:

How to Reset the Printing System

1. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Move your mouse over the Printers list
3. Hold down the Control button and click the mouse (or right click if supported).
4. Click "Reset printing system ..."
5. Restart your Mac

This will remove your printer and scanner queues but not your drivers. So you will only need to add your printer and scanner queues again.

Intern
Intern
17 0 6
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

To my surprise this worked after having tried many things and having gotten advice to do all sorts of things. I had reset the printing, but not the restart. That made all the difference.

Thanks for this hint! Most useful.

0 Kudos
tarzine Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

I have a 8600, and things were working fine until today. I am receiving "failed to open a session on this device", YES I have went through the following steps below - twice and this has still not resolved the problem.

1. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Move your mouse over the Printers list
3. Hold down the Control button and click the mouse (or right click if supported). 
4. Click "Reset printing system ..."
5. Restart your Mac

I have also compeletly turn off and turn back on, and that did not work either :o(

Just purchased this printer a few months again and I am having so many problems.

0 Kudos
genwhisper Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

The same issue but with different model (Pro 125RNW) - suggested procedure to reset the appliance didn't help out. Too sad.

Even tried to open the support case. Result - suggestion to to play with my wireless router. Not too convincing as wireless printing works like a charm thru the same channel (Bonjour/AirPrint).

From my point ov view, an issue could be in the device's software or Mac itself.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

0 Kudos
genwhisper Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Answer to myself :)

Eventually, I've resolved this issue but it was pretty unexpected for me.

Just to sum up everything that I've done earlier:

- reset printer system on mac;

- install with standard AirPrint driver;

- install with drivers bundle (official);

- power cycle for MFU;

- reset MFU to factory defaults.

But...

Disabled IPv6 in MFU's settings was the root cause in my case! Even despite to IPv4 usage (no IPv6 devices at all in my net)!

I'm totally surpised.

It seems to me like a firmware update should resolve this issue.

Hope this could be useful to someone.

0 Kudos
HardyGill Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

Worked like magic. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation