cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AmYam
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

"Load Tray 2 Plain A4" Error - Custom Sized Paper Printing on Laserjet Pro 400 M401a

HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 400 M401a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have replaced this printer with Laserjet P2015 for a few days.  Papers loaded on Tray 2 are smaller than B5 and larger than A5. I have used the following setup on "Printer Properties" and this setup :

Tray 2: Size B5(JIS) and Type "any type".

Tray 1: Size Custom and Type "plain".

The problem is: every time that I send a print, an error is shown on printer's LCD " Load Tray 2 Plain, A4"  and "or Press OK to use available media". after pressing OK print is done very nice, but I cannot press OK for every single print.

Please let me know if there is a solution for this problem.

Printer Properties.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,512 282 598
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The message "Load Tray 2 Plain, A4" implies that the print job has requested paper (media) of size A4, and type Plain.

Since neither of the available trays holds paper matching these attributes, the printer prompts the user for action.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,512 282 598
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The LaserJet Pro 400 M401 User Guide manual describes that error message:

Capture.PNG

which seems to imply that the printer thinks it does have an (empty) A4 / Plain tray!

I don't have access to an M401 printer.

I don't know if your model has a touch-screen control panel (via which you can request a Configuration report and (perhaps?) set the paper types in each tray), nor if the cassette tray auto0-senses paper size (otherwise this has to be configured somehow). 

dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,512 282 598
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>> ... have replaced this printer with Laserjet P2015 for a few days ...

Not sure I understand what you mean; one of:

• You have LJ M401 which permanently replaced a LJ P2015 a few days ago.
  • You have LJ P2015 (temporarily?) but are using LJ M401 printer driver.
  • You have LJ M401 (temporarily?) but are using LJ P2015 printer driver.
AmYam
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have LJ M401 which permanently replaced a LJ P2015 a few days ago. Configuration Report is as follow:

I read the manual. I wonder why should the printer expect a Plain A4 paper in tray 2 or tray 1 while I have defined the size and type of the paper using both hardware buttons (shown on the LCD) and Windows 7 Printer Settings. Is there a mistake in definitions or settings I have used?

IMAG3562_1.jpg

dansdaduk
Level 9
3,562 3,512 282 598
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't yet see the image (showing "Configuration Report") attached to your last post.

Such images can take up to 48 hours to be "approved" and made visible.

In the meantime:

• 'Capture' a typical failing print job (using the 'print to file' option in the Print dialogue) into a nominated .prn file.
  • Analyse the content of the .prn file to (perhaps) see what the printer is being told to do, in terms of what paper (media) size and paper type are being requested.
  • You can try to do this analysis yourself using the PRN File Analyse tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application (available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu ).

You appear to be using a PCL6 (PCL XL) printer driver, so you should see something like the following in the analysis:

Capture.PNG

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation