Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is there a way to "manually" initiate the cleaning cycle on an HP 1012 Laserjet? I am running Windows 7x64 (using work around drivers) , and the cleaning software provided does not run under this OS. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes there is! Here is how you can run a manual cleaning cycle:

1. Load copier grade paper into the paper tray.
  2. With the printer in a Ready state, press and hold the Go button until all three lights come on solid and then release the button.
  3. Wait one to three minutes while the cleaning cycle runs. A blank page is produced during this process.
  4. Once the printer has returned to a Ready state, attempt printing a test page to check the image quality.

NOTE: The cleaning process takes approximately two minutes. The cleaning page will stop periodically during the cleaning process. Do not turn the printer off until the cleaning process has finished. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process several times to thoroughly clean the printer.

Hope this helps for you!

-SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes there is! Here is how you can run a manual cleaning cycle:

1. Load copier grade paper into the paper tray.
  2. With the printer in a Ready state, press and hold the Go button until all three lights come on solid and then release the button.
  3. Wait one to three minutes while the cleaning cycle runs. A blank page is produced during this process.
  4. Once the printer has returned to a Ready state, attempt printing a test page to check the image quality.

NOTE: The cleaning process takes approximately two minutes. The cleaning page will stop periodically during the cleaning process. Do not turn the printer off until the cleaning process has finished. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process several times to thoroughly clean the printer.

Hope this helps for you!

-SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Sean,

Thanks so much for the prompt response!

You solution works, and I am on cleaning cycle 4. The background is improved some, but I relly think the 1012 is showing its age (new in 2003) and use (lots). In the end, I believe I am going to have to replace the unit and am probably going with the HP 1102.

Thanks so much!   

HP Recommended

Awesome! Glad we got it working again!

-SeanS

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.